Query about taking bike on the train?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jodami84

I have only really just got into my cycling and quite fancy eventually being able to commute the hilly 15 miles to work. However, at present i simply couldnt do it, I live in Yeadon, Leeds and would be travelling to the centre of Halifax. At present im tempted to catch the train from Guiseley to Bradford Foster Square then cycling to the Fax. Its just that having previously commuted to work on the train, it was a regular occurence that the guard would stop people with bikes getting on. That was normally at the interchange end, but im wondering how i can find out if doing what im planning is possible

Ricky Baby

Speak to the train operator, more than likely at peak times it would be a no, unless your using a folding bike. most train operators will only take full-sized bike with advanced knowledge.

skrx

Northern Rail's policy isn't very clear: http://www.northernrail.org/travel/bikes-on-trains

No reservations, first-come-first-served, except "if it's busy".

I think I prefer a clear "no bikes on trains arriving at [big city] between 7:00 and 9:30, or leaving between 16:30 and 18:00" (or similar). But I've hardly ever been up North, so I don't know what the trains are like.

skrx

Having said that, I do like most of what Northern Rail say about cycling:
Northern is strongly committed to promoting cycling as a sustainable and healthy means of transport that complements our train service. Our vision is to 'connect people to opportunities by the most sustainable means' and cycling has an important role to play. We want to do more to make this an attractive option so we are working with local authorities and the cycling community to see where we can make our stations more cycle-friendly.

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
skrx said:
Having said that, I do like most of what Northern Rail say about cycling:
Northern is strongly committed to promoting cycling as a sustainable and healthy means of transport that complements our train service. Our vision is to 'connect people to opportunities by the most sustainable means' and cycling has an important role to play. We want to do more to make this an attractive option so we are working with local authorities and the cycling community to see where we can make our stations more cycle-friendly.

That interprets as "we're aiming to make parking space at stations but we still won't let you on the train with that bike."

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Northern (on my line at least) are very good - pragmatic and reasonable, as long as you're not blocking the doors or aisles, they'll let you on. On the units on our line, the cycle space dubles up as the disabled passenger space, so you may need to give it up should a wheelchair user get on the train.

It's also the enormous wheely case and lazy fat bastard space, but in general your bike can be lent up against those.

Jodami84 said:
I have only really just got into my cycling and quite fancy eventually being able to commute the hilly 15 miles to work. However, at present i simply couldnt do it, I live in Yeadon, Leeds and would be travelling to the centre of Halifax. At present im tempted to catch the train from Guiseley to Bradford Foster Square then cycling to the Fax. Its just that having previously commuted to work on the train, it was a regular occurence that the guard would stop people with bikes getting on. That was normally at the interchange end, but im wondering how i can find out if doing what im planning is possible

I get on at the interchange every day and travel back to halifax at night. it will be ok.

Top Bottom