Question about brakes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Randombiker9

So basically I used to ride my mtb but switched half a year ago the road bike. However I realised on the road bike one of the brake levers nearly reach the handlebars. (Back with my mtb when this happened the barrel adjuster fixed it which also had disc brakes) However the road bike has dropped handlebars and disc brakes. Is the reason it needs tightening or is it another reason? If it’s just tightening how do you do it with a road bike.? Because there’s no barrel adjuster unless it’s hidden on the drop handlebars

vickster

Legendary Member
What brakes are they?
Have you tried adjusting the calipers?
If you don’t know what to do (even with the aid of Youtube) ask your local bike shop to show you

Reactions: C R
So basically I used to ride my mtb but switched half a year ago the road bike. However I realised on the road bike one of the brake levers nearly reach the handlebars. (Back with my mtb when this happened the barrel adjuster fixed it which also had disc brakes) However the road bike has dropped handlebars and disc brakes. Is the reason it needs tightening or is it another reason? If it’s just tightening how do you do it with a road bike.? Because there’s no barrel adjuster unless it’s hidden on the drop handlebars
If they are hydraulic disc brakes, and there’s no leak in the hydraulic system, or air / moisture in the fluid, the brakes auto adjust as the pads wear down. If the lever is almost to the bars, you have a leak / the fluid has got moisture in it ( some fluids are hygroscopic, and will eventually deteriorate due to moisture contamination ) or you need new pads.

Levo-Lon

Guru
If there cable disc brakes you adjus at the caliper.
You tube it.

If its a hydraulic brake it could be a number of things from corrosion to air in the system.

So it depends on what brakes you have as to the fix

OP
OP
Randombiker9

Randombiker9

What brakes are they?
Have you tried adjusting the calipers?
If you don’t know what to do (even with the aid of Youtube) ask your local bike shop to show you
Their cable disc brakes
Do disc brakes have callipars?
If they are hydraulic disc brakes, and there’s no leak in the hydraulic system, or air / moisture in the fluid, the brakes auto adjust as the pads wear down. If the lever is almost to the bars, you have a leak / the fluid has got moisture in it ( some fluids are hygroscopic, and will eventually deteriorate due to moisture contamination ) or you need new pads.
Their cable disc brakes

If there cable disc brakes you adjus at the caliper.
You tube it.

If its a hydraulic brake it could be a number of things from corrosion to air in the system.

So it depends on what brakes you have as to the fix

GetFatty

Über Member
Yes cable disk brakes have calipers next to the disk. Some such as Avid BB7s have a small red dial that you can turn to move the pad closer to the braking surface. TRP Spyres use an allen key for this but also have barrel adjusters just above the caliper

vickster

Legendary Member
What brakes are they, brand/model? Should say on the caliper (it's the thing that holds the pad, the rotor runs through it). Post photos if unsure

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
Randombiker9

Randombiker9

@GetFatty and @vickster
Added picture of the Disc brake and the brake lever pretty much touching

Attachments

• DEFC681C-5428-4A3C-AFF8-1AA2E1253621.jpeg
    DEFC681C-5428-4A3C-AFF8-1AA2E1253621.jpeg
    131.4 KB · Views: 8
  • D83CECAD-CE78-4520-A227-8DADB2655432.jpeg
    D83CECAD-CE78-4520-A227-8DADB2655432.jpeg
    75.8 KB · Views: 8

vickster

Legendary Member
@GetFatty and @vickster
Added picture of the Disc brake and the brake lever pretty much touching
Can’t see any markings. Look generic. What bike, make/model/year?

CXRAndy

Guru
Its either worn pads or cable stretched a little or both

I see there is a knurled adjustment on the caliper. You could wind it out a little to see if slack is taken up

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Easy to take some slack out by loosening off the cable clamp where it attaches the cable to the caliper arm. Pull it tight and lift the caliper arm slightly so it is slightly activating but not causing the pads to rub against the disc a d then tighten the clamp again. There is probably a method of moving the pads closer to the disc - such as a dial adjuster, but if not, the above will work fine.

si_c

Guru
As @CXRAndy says there is a barrel adjuster on the caliper that winds in the cable a little. It also looks like there is an allen key slot in the centre of the pivot which you will be able to use to move the pad in and out - I'd suggest that's the starting point for adjustment - if you move the pad in towards the rotor until it starts making a noise when you spin the wheel, then back it off ever so slightly until the noise disappears. You should be able to do this on both sides of the caliper.

Nigelnightmare

Über Member
:stop:DON'T adjust the barrel adjuster or cable via the pinch bolt.
You only use them in the initial setup.
Adjust the pads closer to the disc or you'll find you run out of brake!
I.E. the lever on the caliper will bottom out before the pads contact the disc.

Pinch bolt for rough setting and barrel adjuster for fine tuning after fitting NEW pads and adjusting them till they touch the disc, then back off 2 notches on each pad.

Last edited:
Top Bottom