Question about gearing at the bottom of a hill

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CatherineB

I start my trip home from work right at the bottom of a killer hill. I try to remember to shift ino an easier gear as I get to the bottom of the hill in the morning in preparation for my trip home, but invariably I forget - and when I set off in the evening, I have to push off with all my might in the hard gear to get moving as I start up the hill, and then when I try to shift there's so much pressure on the chain that it sounds like the gears will rip apart as they change. So most of the time I just walk the bike up the hill til I get to the flat and set off there (which is embarassing, because I CAN handle the hill in a proper gear, and I don't want people to think differently!)

Other than remembering to gear down before I stop in the morning, is there anything I can do better/differently? I moved to Leeds from somewhere pretty much completely flat, so this isn't a problem I've ever had before.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Before you set off change gear and spin the pedals whilst holding the back wheel up.

snorri

Legendary Member
CatherineB said:
Other than remembering to gear down before I stop in the morning, is there anything I can do better/differently?
Consider fitting a Rohloff hub, a suitable gear can be selected when the bicycle is stationary, before you set off.:blush:

OP
OP
CatherineB

CatherineB

That's incredibly clever, which is why I never thought of it. I'll give it a go this evening and report back!

tyred

Legendary Member
snorri said:
Consider fitting a Rohloff hub, a suitable gear can be selected when the bicycle is stationary, before you set off.:rolleyes:

Rather expensive solution to a simple problem, I would have thought.

OP
OP
CatherineB

CatherineB

Sorry, I was replying to the first two, about lifting the tyre and changing gears.
The second idea is clever too, I'll consider it if I find myself too clumsy to manage the first idea (which is entirely possible!)

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
snorri said:
Consider fitting a Rohloff hub, a suitable gear can be selected when the bicycle is stationary, before you set off.;)

Change gears and spin the cranks holding the back wheel up or spend £1100 on a hub gear solution.

Got to be the hub gear:biggrin:

andy_wrx

Über Member
Alternative 3: Get a set of rollers at work, put bike on them, you can start off in your too-high gear on rollers, change down to required gear, get off rollers and ride up hill.

Alternative 4: ride off in other direction, change down, U-turn and ride up hill in required gear.

Alternative 5: join gym and do leg presses with huge weights, get thighs like Jamie Staff, then you can climb up that hill in a high gear

I think you're right - alternative 1 will do you fine !

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
you could always buy a singlespeed :sad:

but I'd go with this one until you remember to shift at the end of the previous ride.

ianrauk said:
Before you set off change gear and spin the pedals whilst holding the back wheel up.

Top Bottom