Question about lane etiquette.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dean3000

Hi guys! This is my first post, its something I've been pondering for a while but it may have an obvious answer so I thought id ask a cycling forum, what is the correct procedure about cycling in a proper lane.

Okay, lets say I'm on a 4 lane road (that being 2 lanes of traffic flowing in opposite directions) cycling North on the left lane of the Northbound road. Up ahead is a roundabout where traffic is supposed to filter into the proper lanes - as the road I'm on will be heading left, onto the first exit whilst the inside lane is heading straight on, to the second exit.

If I want to head straight on, do I take the inside lane before the roundabout? The reason I ask is because I'm always cautious that the rules are mixed up with this type of filtering for cyclists. Better to be safe than sorry!

Katherine

Guru
Search 'roundabouts, lanes, tip' in the search box at the top of the page.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
YES - take primary (i.e. central) position in the left lane well before the roundabout, and maintain that position until after you exit the roundabout. This is a lot safer than keeping to the left side of the lane, because it discourages motorists from attempting to overtake you while remaining in the lane. This is something many motorists will try, if you give them half a chance.

Welcome to the CC fora, @Dean3000. :welcome:

RedRider

Pulling through
Hi Dean, If I'm reading our post right then unless there was a pressing reason not to then I'd be moving into the right hand lane to head straight on otherwise I'd risk being cut up/left hooked by vehicles taking the first exit. It takes a bit of confidence tho.

martint235

Dog on a bike
It depends on the traffic levels. If most of the traffic is heading straight on then I'd take a primary in the left hand lane to discourage the odd car cutting to the left across me. If most of the traffic is going left then I'd move into the right hand lane to stay out of its way.

Generally, as someone has said behave like a car.

Mile195

Veteran
I'd agree with the above answers. Ride like you're driving a car and stay in the centre of the lane to prevent cars passing then turning left into your path. Don't be pushed into the gutter. At the same time though do exercise caution. Don't just stick your hand out and start moving. I see plenty of people doing that in London. Check over your shoulder several times especially if the approach is fast, even though you're only moving out by a few foot. Remember that cars will also be trying to move into your lane and may not expect you to move out to the middle of the lane.

Reactions: _aD

.stu

Über Member
Is there a right turn at the roundabout? If so, then the right hand lane is for turning right only, and the left hand lane is for turning left or going straight on, unless the lanes are marked differently of course.

Btw, just to be clear, the left hand lane is the inside lane, and the right hand lane is the outside lane - the OP seems to refer to the right hand lane as the inside lane in his post.

Mile195

Veteran
Is there a right turn at the roundabout? If so, then the right hand lane is for turning right only, and the left hand lane is for turning left or going straight on, unless the lanes are marked differently of course.

Btw, just to be clear, the left hand lane is the inside lane, and the right hand lane is the outside lane - the OP seems to refer to the right hand lane as the inside lane in his post.
I try and avoid the terminology altogether, since it depends how you look at it. I see the left as nearest the pavement which makes it the outside to me. Nearside or offside I think is more descriptive (nearside= side nearest the pavement).

OP
OP
D

Dean3000

Okay, thankyou all for your response. So if I wanted to take the second exit from the roundabout, id take the through road?

Top Bottom