Question about legalese

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
This is for a document I'm writing a (boring!) document at the moment:

Does anyone know the official terminology used to describe the process by which medical records may be requested by a court as evidence in a court case? I'm thinking "subpoena", but I have a suspicion that the term only applies in the USA.

Dan B

Disengaged member
Wikipedia seems to think this is called "discovery". http://www.blankrome.com/index.cfm?contentID=37&itemID=1384 says it's now called "disclosure". I'm not a lawyer, these are just guesses

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
A subpoena is a summons to a (possibly reluctant) witness. Coruskate's suggestion looks a good one but I'm sure Patrick will be around to give us C&V before long.

Bromptonaut said:
A subpoena is a summons to a (possibly reluctant) witness. Coruskate's suggestion looks a good one but I'm sure Patrick will be around to give us C&V before long.

It's a subpeona duces tecum. It requires someone to bring a document to court. However it will now be called something like a Rule 16(c) 13 order as the CPR abolished a lot of the Latin terms.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
What is exculpation? (sp?) Is that the word for "provide me with the information I need relevant to xyz. I do not know what information you hold, so I cannot ask for it specifically, so you must provide me with everything remotely relevant. Do not, however provide 92 boxes of paperwork, some of which relates to the maiden name of the expert witness who you might have called".

Top Bottom