Question about tires and wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bernieraffe

hi,

I currently have Boardman Team Hybrid bike which so far i’ve only ever used on the road. I’d now like to start using it more on gravel and the occasional towpath, still on the road as well.

The tyres that came with the bike are 700 x 28c and they say 28-722, the Mavic wheels also have a some info on them, see attached photo.

What size of tyre would be suitable these wheels, and can anyone recommend some good tyres for the type of riding I mentioned.

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• E700830A-63EC-4A25-9FA5-5D7931087E82.jpeg
    E700830A-63EC-4A25-9FA5-5D7931087E82.jpeg
    123.7 KB · Views: 44

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I'm going to suggest that you tyre is actually 28-622 :smile:

You have 19mm internal width rims (the 19 bit of 622-19), and the rim is a 700c wheel (622mm). According to the table here (scroll down o find it), you can fit 28-44mm width tyres (assuming they don't foul the frame). Anything from 700x28c to 700x44c, or 28-622 to 44-622 ERTO should fit.

OP
OP
B

bernieraffe

I'm going to suggest that you tyre is actually 28-622 :smile:

You have 19mm internal width rims (the 19 bit of 622-19), and the rim is a 700c wheel (622mm). According to the table here (scroll down o find it), you can fit 28-44mm width tyres (assuming they don't foul the frame). Anything from 700x28c to 700x44c, or 28-622 to 44-622 ERTO should fit.

That’s a great help, thanks very much.

U

User65906

If you plan to avoid mud, then you do not need the widest tyre possible,
a tyre with the right kind of grip pattern is important though,
there are many options, just know what terrain you want to get
a grip on, and chose a tire that suits, a very wide tyre running low pressure
will grip on slopes ect, but that same low pressure wont be too safe if you
plan on racing along on tarmac as it will become unstable,
puncture resistance and tyre weight are also worth thinking about.

I had a hybrid voodo agwa I used on the road, though it spent 40 % of
its time on forrest roads, ( loose gravel and holes left by lorries and stones
scattered around ), I foolishly sold it, it had 46 mm tyres, pumped up hard,
they gripped on loose surfaces because they still sunk in enough and bit under my weight,
they also had grips that were small enough to cause no trouble on tarmac while providing
enough traction on the loose surfaces and bumps in the forest,
running them soft was of no value,
in-fact they were so hard they bounced when the wheel hit an obstacle
on the road, or dirt track, like ruts stones or roots in the grass, which I preferred,
and they flew along on the road too, if i still had the bike I would have put narrower
tyres on it to reduce wight and make riding on the tarmac more productive, though I
would not go down to 28 mm, keep as wide as you can without affecting your tarmac
sections.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The current model runs 32c tyres so you should be safe enough with that but I would very wary to go above that due to problems you may encounter with frame clearance.

You don't need anything knobbly for the sort of riding you mention so something like Schwalbe Marathon GG which have had some good reviews offering good rolling resistance and puncture guard. I wouldn't worry about tread pattern as it will have little influence on grip for your sort of riding.

I use Schwalbe Tryago on my adventure bike and are good budget boots but can't recommend them wholeheartedly due to their poor rolling resistance and weight.

411jPrbJTPL._AC_SY400_.jpg
You might find this site useful:
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com

Levo-Lon

Guru
I have continental tour tyres on my Boardman team.
Good for most things.

You can fit loads of tyres to these rims.
Cyclo cross to road race

OP
OP
B

bernieraffe

Thank you everybody for your replies, much appreciated. I have a much better understanding now of wheel and tire sizes, so thanks again.

I'll probably go for the Schwalbe Marathon GG (I assume that's the 'Green Guard?)

Alan O

Über Member
Thank you everybody for your replies, much appreciated. I have a much better understanding now of wheel and tire sizes, so thanks again.

I'll probably go for the Schwalbe Marathon GG (I assume that's the 'Green Guard?)
I have a pair of Marathon Greenguards for my tourer, chosen for what sounds like the same kind of surfaces you ride - canal towpaths, gravel tracks, earth tracks (but not mud) - and I'm happy with them for the job. They have greater rolling resistance and they're stiffer than road tyres (like the Gatorskins I currently have on that bike), but that's to be expected. They're very tough tyres too.

Top Bottom