Question about V brake on a carbon fork

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have just been given a Cannondale Quick carbon fork plus V-brakes for a 700c hybrid I am building.

I think I understand the fitting but would like opinions please.

As far as I see there are no removable bosses for this fork but the V-brakes screw directly into the fork. There are separate fitments for the tension spring holes.
Am I correct in saying that these fitments are put between the brake and fork and the pressure of bolting the brake will hold it in place?

Here is a pic of the fork, brake and tension hole fitment.

20190108_203359.jpg

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Does the bolt come out of the brake or does it screw into a removeable boss that is inside the arm ?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Not removable, and screws into the threaded hole in the leg.

I thought that looked the correct way to go so thanks for the confirmation.
If the bolt doesn't pull out then it must be attached by some means to the part that screws into the fork, this is a removable boss similar to the ones supplied with my disc braked Saracen (they came in a little plastic bag with the bike)

Looks to me like whoever removed the V-brakes inadvertently unscrewed the bosses instead of the pivot/retaining screw.

If the bolt doesn't pull out then it must be attached by some means to the part that screws into the fork, this is a removable boss similar to the ones supplied with my disc braked Saracen (they came in a little plastic bag with the bike)

Looks to me like whoever removed the V-brakes inadvertently unscrewed the bosses instead of the pivot/retaining screw.
I don't think so. With protruding bosses, the bolt just holds the brake on the boss. Those bolts have built-in bosses, hence the protrusion beyond the brake.
I bet if the OP shows a picture of just the "bolt" you'll see it. OP?

Well that was a crappy picture, hope this one is better.

View attachment 446366

Yes, I know those bosses very well. I used to stock and sell those in various sizes. But look at the OP's photo and try and imagine that he's only got the bolt in there, not a boss. Perhaps it is a bolt and a boss, but certainly not a bolt only.

OPeeeeeeeee! @Rusty Nails Please show us your bolt.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rusty Nails

Rusty Nails

We remember
Yes, I know those bosses very well. I used to stock and sell those in various sizes. But look at the OP's photo and try and imagine that he's only got the bolt in there, not a boss. Perhaps it is a bolt and a boss, but certainly not a bolt only.

OPeeeeeeeee! @Rusty Nails Please show us your bolt.

Sorry, been out all day.

Here is the brake. You can see the different sizes of the thread on this brake and normal boss bolts. The thread in the fork is too small to take a normal boss, and the thread on the fixed brake bolt is exactly the same as the thread in the fork.

I have to go along with Yellow Saddle on this.

20190109_151036.jpg

Sorry, been out all day.

Here is the brake. You can see the different sizes of the thread on this brake and normal boss bolts. The thread in the fork is too small to take a normal boss, and the thread on the fixed brake bolt is exactly the same as the thread in the fork.

View attachment 446387

OK, but surely the brake doesn't pivot on a threaded bolt? Is the bolt smooth inside the brake? And, what make of brake is that?

OP
OP
Rusty Nails

Rusty Nails

We remember
OK, but surely the brake doesn't pivot on a threaded bolt? Is the bolt smooth inside the brake? And, what make of brake is that?

The bolt is fixed into the brake, and loose, so that when the bolt is tightened into the fork the brake pivots about the bolt. The threaded part does not continue through the brake body.

The brake says Cannondale, by Promax.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Sorry, been out all day.

View attachment 446387

Ah a different size thread, weird, but I've never seen one of those.

Top Bottom