Question: Bike pants/trousers (prefer compressive)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycle-swim

Regular
Hi. I’m frustrated. Basically, trying to find a decent pair of cycle bottoms/pants (trousers) that fit me. I’m 6’-2” and weigh 170 pounds. Those stats seem to put me into either a “medium” or “small” depending on manufacturer. Ordered another pair online that I’ll need to return/exchange. This time, they are a bit too snug in the calf/ankles and being a “small” seem to pull down at the waist. Yet, around the waist and buttocks, they are almost too baggy! Not sure how to say this: I have a flat butt. So there’s some “extra room” down there creating a void and after a while or riding, this ‘bagginess’ causes a rash. Aside from starting to do extensive glute exercises and eating more to gain girth, figured I’d post/ask for some advice on other brands out there which I may not be aware of for better fit/sizing? In other words, any decent name brands out there known for “flat-butted” people like me? Thanks for any name brand suggestions!

vickster

Legendary Member
Do you mean cycling tights? Padded? Unpadded? What country are you in as brands vary
Can you link the ones you have tried?

OP
OP
C

Cycle-swim

Regular
Do you mean cycling tights? Padded? Unpadded? What country are you in as brands vary
Can you link the ones you have tried?

Yes, talking about cycling tights. Preferably padded but also compressive/tight. I've tried too many to list here (from expensive to cheap) but the most recent one is a pair of "XGC Men's Long Cycling Pants" with 4D Sponge Padding. Purchased online here in the US for about $34 from Amazon. Everything is about them is perfect: perhaps best padding I've seen (even compared to other brands that might run upwards of $125 USD), nice fabric, stitching, etc. EXCEPT they run a bit too short and tug down at the waist, and aren't as tight as they should be around my midsection, hence leaving a bit of a sag around my glute area. Seems to me I'd need to find a brand that tends to be longer legs, perhaps a tighter mid-section. Similar to the generalization that Asian manufacturing tends to run a size smaller than 'western' brands, maybe there are some brands out there I'm overlooking that offer what I'm looking for... Thanks for any input/suggestions!

vickster

Legendary Member
Gore, Pearl Izumi, Sugoi worth a look, maybe consider bib tights if the waist tights aren’t working. All decent well fitting Lycra should be compressive.
Otherwise, you could try normal (bib) shorts under unpadded compression running tights from 2xu, under armour or similar

OP
OP
C

Cycle-swim

Regular
Gore, Pearl Izumi, Sugoi worth a look, maybe consider bib tights if the waist tights aren’t working. All decent well fitting Lycra should be compressive.
Otherwise, you could try normal (bib) shorts under unpadded compression running tights from 2xu, under armour or similar

Thanks for the ideas. You mentioned going with a bib tight; I'm sort of heading in that direction. Sometimes a bib isn't ideal which is why I'd prefer a regular tight. But if the waist keeps pulling down and I'm left with a baggy "seat" then the bib suspenders will help address that...

But I totally agree: I want compression. Not just because of skin irritation but my muscles actually feel better. Even after a ride, I change into compressive pants. Helps control any swelling and helps my recovery.

Thanks again for your suggestions!

Top Bottom