Question for Mac B

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Old timer

Über Member
Hiya Mac

On my evans MTB (20 year old) I have a quill stem, i need to raise the bars but the stem is on max at present. another complication is the fact that my front brake cable passes through the stem extension. (the inner cable obviously passes right through but the outer cable stops within and stem extension leaving just the inner cable in free air to a Shimano Exage centre pull brake)

I`m looking at this http://www.discountbicycles.co.uk/biz/product.php/6926/0/kf_quill_stem_raiser_1___22_2mm_

That will maintain my existing bars but give a lift. might need a new longer brake cable but no prob.

Any thoughts?

You might be able to see what I mean on a couple of the images here
http://www.pbase.com/davechilvers/alien_e_bike_conversion

Dave

Manonabike

Über Member
Not Mac B here but I looked into this matter recently so I might be able to help :biggrin:

The stem raiser you showed, from what I've read, does work but it doesn't look very pretty.

Basically, the question that needs answering is how long do you need to raise the bar?

I had a perfectly good stem at 16.5 cm but I wanted to raise my bar by 1". The only stem I found in the UK that could do that is the Deluxe Nitto stem
nittotnomzm.jpg

at 19.5cm - (it is known as a 19 cm but it's actually 19.5 cm)

There is a longer one which can be bought in the USA and it's called Nitto Technomic Standard

16-120_Site_TEch_Norm_26.jpg

I love the Nitto Deluxe I bought, nice finish and smart.

I hope that helps.

OP
OP
Old timer

Old timer

Über Member
Manonabike said:
Not Mac B here but I looked into this matter recently so I might be able to help :biggrin:

The stem raiser you showed, from what I've read, does work but it doesn't look very pretty.

Basically, the question that needs answering is how long do you need to raise the bar?

I had a perfectly good stem at 16.5 cm but I wanted to raise my bar by 1". The only stem I found in the UK that could do that is the Deluxe Nitto stem
nittotnomzm.jpg

at 19.5cm - (it is known as a 19 cm but it's actually 19.5 cm)

There is a longer one which can be bought in the USA and it's called Nitto Technomic Standard

16-120_Site_TEch_Norm_26.jpg

I love the Nitto Deluxe I bought, nice finish and smart.

I hope that helps.

Thanks for that, that is another option, is the extension (the bit that goes forward) solid?

If you look at my images you`ll see that my front brake cable goes through mine. No problem drilling it for me because i am an engineer.

I must admit that I`m not too worried about the look, it is my spare e bike that I converted myself and at my age functionality and comfort far outweighs looks:biggrin:

Cheers

Dave

Manonabike

Über Member
Yes, the stem is solid.

If you are not bothered about looks then the stem raiser could well be the option to go for. However, if you need to raise the bar by just a little bit then you would have a problem with that option as you would have no choice but to raise the bar quite a lot.

How tall is your current stem and how much do you need to raise the bar?

OP
OP
Old timer

Old timer

Über Member
Manonabike said:
Yes, the stem is solid.

If you are not bothered about looks then the stem raiser could well be the option to go for. However, if you need to raise the bar by just a little bit then you would have a problem with that option as you would have no choice but to raise the bar quite a lot.

How tall is your current stem and how much do you need to raise the bar?

I have my exisitng stem out as far as it will go, to be honest if I raised it 3" or so that would be fine. I have a lower back problem and i know that (from past ridng when I was young) sitting more upright is not the way to make good progress but now I`m knocking on and i ride just local plus the electric assistance just suits me to cruise around.

Manonabike

Über Member
If you want to raise your stem by a further 3" and you don't mind how it looks then I think the stem raiser is your best bet.

If the stem + stem raiser combination is too tall, then by cutting a little bit of your own stem might just do the job.

OP
OP
Old timer

Old timer

Über Member
Manonabike said:
If you want to raise your stem by a further 3" and you don't mind how it looks then I think the stem raiser is your best bet.

If the stem + stem raiser combination is too tall, then by cutting a little bit of your own stem might just do the job.

Thank you all for your help

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Hi Dave, I'd go with the suggestions from the others, I don't have any quill stem setups. The one old frame I have I actually converted to threadless ahead and used 1" threadless Surly Crosscheck forks on. Mainly to avoid sodding around with different systems. All part of my plan for world domination standardisation of the home bike fleet.

OP
OP
Old timer

Old timer

Über Member
MacB said:
Hi Dave, I'd go with the suggestions from the others, I don't have any quill stem setups. The one old frame I have I actually converted to threadless ahead and used 1" threadless Surly Crosscheck forks on. Mainly to avoid sodding around with different systems. All part of my plan for world domination standardisation of the home bike fleet.

Thanks Mac, I`ve ordered a quill extender(it`s for the evans)

BTW fingers crossed, the Marathons and the slime inserts seem to be holding up( that`s it, I`ve done it now:biggrin:

Top Bottom