Question on narrow point of law

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sabian92

Über Member
That's not a situation where it would be acceptable, and it would annoy me too. I was talking about where the whole junction is jammed, which does happen.

If it's jammed you may as well just jump the light. Not as if anybody is going to catch you up and stop you for it is it? :laugh:

Dan B

Disengaged member
Well, I meant if the junction was flowing just the lights for the rider were on red. Imagine you at a crossroads - your lights are changing to green as the traffic crossing you turns to red. You accelerate and spot a cyclist scooting over the junction and have to brake sharply, potentially causing a crash because the car behind you doesn't expect it (and why would he? His lights are on green.).
The same would apply if it was a pedestrian running across the road instead of a cyclist scooting - the number of wheels involved doesn't really make a difference. Posters in several "Hit my first pedestrian"-type threads have already asserted (correctly, as far as I know) that a ped has some kind of duty of care to other road users, so the same would apply to a pedestrian pushing a bike.

PK99

Legendary Member
It's practically the only way I mount my bike. And I do the scooty thing. I've had a couple of close calls though where my loose fitting trousers haven't quite cleared the saddle as I swing my leg over which must make me look a bit of a prat. I just make sure now that my trousers are good and pulled up.

Sheldon would not approve;

Some Wrong Ways:

• The Cowboy Mount is popular among cyclists who learned to ride on a bicycle that was too large for them. Indeed, this is the only way to get started on a bike that is seriously too tall for the rider. This dubious technique involves standing next to the bike, putting one foot on a pedal, then swinging the other leg over the saddle while the bicycle is in motion.
    The cowboy mount places the rider's weight on the bicycle while it is leaning over at a sharp angle. This puts considerable lateral stress on the frame and the wheels. Bicycle wheels, in particular, are not designed to withstand serious sideways stresses, and this poor mounting technique is very hard on your wheels.

sabian92

Über Member
The same would apply if it was a pedestrian running across the road instead of a cyclist scooting - the number of wheels involved doesn't really make a difference. Posters in several "Hit my first pedestrian"-type threads have already asserted (correctly, as far as I know) that a ped has some kind of duty of care to other road users, so the same would apply to a pedestrian pushing a bike.

Yet, drivers are always at fault if a ped gets hit, never the ped.

sidevalve

Über Member
I must admit I do find it amusing the number of people who assume that because THEIR lights havn't gone green in 30seconds or so then "the lights have jammed". There are many reasons why lights seem to be taking a long time eg a ped phase[which you may not be able to see], one or two filter lights, you're on the side road and it's rush hour so the main road runs to it's max time are just a few. Equally rare [or even more so] is the old "oh they were showing two greens at once". Sadly for those hoping to use this as an excuse this doesn't happen either, ANY inappropriate voltages will cause immediate shut down of the lights. Just hopping off, walking around the junction to the other side and then riding off I see no fault with, just the advantage of being a cyclist. As said ealier however to just cross the stop line then ride on happy and smug assuming all will be well and if anything comes along he will see you and stop because after all you're a cyclist and can't possibly be in the wrong is a bit pathetic. If you just MUST MUST MUST get through and stuff anyone else then maybe maybe you're in two much of a hurry and you should be driving a large 4x4 as you have the correct mindset to use it.

byegad

Legendary Member
If you cross the entire junction on foot and remount after it to continue your ride you will definitely be legal, if you cross the line, then remount you are crossing the junction against the lights, and may get hit by vehicles with 'Right of Way', the green light. I'd say you will also run the risk of prosecution.

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I must admit I do find it amusing the number of people who assume that because THEIR lights havn't gone green in 30seconds or so then "the lights have jammed". There are many reasons why lights seem to be taking a long time eg a ped phase[which you may not be able to see], one or two filter lights, you're on the side road and it's rush hour so the main road runs to it's max time are just a few. Equally rare [or even more so] is the old "oh they were showing two greens at once". Sadly for those hoping to use this as an excuse this doesn't happen either, ANY inappropriate voltages will cause immediate shut down of the lights. Just hopping off, walking around the junction to the other side and then riding off I see no fault with, just the advantage of being a cyclist. As said ealier however to just cross the stop line then ride on happy and smug assuming all will be well and if anything comes along he will see you and stop because after all you're a cyclist and can't possibly be in the wrong is a bit pathetic. If you just MUST MUST MUST get through and stuff anyone else then maybe maybe you're in two much of a hurry and you should be driving a large 4x4 as you have the correct mindset to use it.
If you cross the entire junction on foot and remount after it to continue your ride you will definitely be legal, if you cross the line, then remount you are crossing the junction against the lights, and may get hit by vehicles with 'Right of Way', the green light. I'd say you will also run the risk of prosecution.

Try reading the thread again, because at no time have I said to do this with traffic coming.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I have dismounted at many red light because I couldnt be bothered to wait for a car to come behind me to trigger them. I find it is just easier. Especially when you get to a traffic light that has just changed and you can bypass waiting.

Top Bottom