Question on Shimano Alfine, 11 speed

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by novetan, 16 Jul 2012.

1. novetan

novetan Well-Known Member

I just purchase a folding bike Tern Verge using Shimano Alfine, 11 spd. That's all the spec tells me. I tried to google but only to be told its a 400% gearing ratio, something like that which I don't understand. Anyone knows how's the spacing of the teeth?

Tks

2. Andy_R

Andy_R Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..

Here you go Alfine ratios

3. OP
    OP
    novetan

Tks Andy.

How does the various gear ratio translate to no. of teeth? I don't understand gear ratio. Perhaps you may want to give an example for gear ratio 1 listed as 0.527 means what?

Tks so much.

4. Andy_R

It depends on the size of sprocket being run, so if using 20 tooth sprocket, it would be equivalent of

38.0 lowest gear
    9.3 highest gear

Worked out by dividing number of teeth on sprocket by ratio

5. Crankarm

Crankarm Guru

6. OP
    OP
    novetan

Thanks Andy so much.

Using the 2 lowest gear as example, 38-29.4 = 8.6, I suppose shld be either 8 or 9 teeth, is that correct?

7. Andy_R

Not quite. You need to count the teeth on the sprocket on the Alfine hub and divide by the ratio; for example a 20 tooth sprocket on ratio 1 (the lowest gear) gives this: 20/0.527=38 so a 20 tooth sprocket and gear 1 on that hub would be the equivalent of a 38 tooth sprocket on a cassette. Using the same 20 tooth sprocket on the next gear you get the equivalent of 29.4 tooth sprocket on a cassette. Obviously there is no such thing as .4 of a tooth so I would round to the nearest whole number. Based on that, you would get the following cassette: 9-11-12-14-16-18-20-23-26-29-38

8. OP
    OP
    novetan

Tks again Andy.

Where do you derive 20 tooth sprocket? Is it native (or default) for Shimano Alfine 11 spd or just an example?

Tks again

9. Andy_R

Its just an example. The Alfine has options for 18, 20, 21, 22, or 23T sprockets

10. OP
    OP
    novetan

I see. Tks Andy.

Anyone here can offer advise what is theno. of teeth for the sprockets of Shimano Alfine 11 spd?

11. OP
    OP
    novetan

12. Andy_R

Looks like 18 teeth on the sprocket. Use Sheldons gear calculator here

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice