Questions on Garmin Connect.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peteaud

Veteran
I have just got a garmin edge touring and when I went onto the garmin site I try to download the garmin communicator plugin as it says I need to, I have tried to download it half a dozen times but for some reason it says downloading and nothing else despite leaving it downloading (supposedly) for hours

Ive had that as well. Have you tried ignoring it and uploading to GC?

That said i gave up with GC ages ago and just use RWGPS to download info to.

Garmin really need to sort out their issues.

I have just got a garmin edge touring and when I went onto the garmin site I try to download the garmin communicator plugin as it says I need to, I have tried to download it half a dozen times but for some reason it says downloading and nothing else despite leaving it downloading (supposedly) for hours
Are you using IE11? If so, run a reset on it (tools menu, internet options, advanced tab, then reset button...) I have found that mine now works after that and also uploads to strava again on the auto option (whereas before I had to upload the file manually).

I have found today that the new interface does seem to be working - it has allowed me to make extensive changes to an existing route without loosing everything and logging me off, and in addition (for the first time ever) my garmin edge 500 has actually been able to estimate how long to the end of a course I was following. Now I have had this device since Christmas and it is the very first time that feature has worked! Even the refresh issue when following a course was less of a problem than previously and this was an 88km (55 mile) course! Things could be looking up!

OP
OP
Spoked Wheels

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
OK, I think I found a way around being logged out when plotting a course in Garmin Connect. Unless I was the only person not being able to plot and save a course without being logged out and unable to save my work.

1- Login
2- Plan -> Courses
3- Create Course
4- Change Location (I type a postcode to get me closer to where I want to start the course)
5- Give the course a name
6- SAVE (very important)
7-Edit the course
8- Plot your course
9- Save the course
10- Send course to device.

Hope that helps.

Pjays666

Über Member
okay next stupid question now I have finally got the communicator working. How do you set up to auto upload to strava? If I get this soted I may actually get chance to get out on the bike

Martin McNeely

+1 for RRSODL, this is how I got round about this annoying blip. If it's a really long ride I'll save every 20 mile or so just incase. I'm always waiting on it crashing but works ok doing it this way.

Me too, but where do I find total elevation gain data? I can see the profile on a GC created route but the summary box shows __ for elevation gain!
Don't think you can, until after you have cycled it with Garmin. I often have researched a route elsewhere first because Garmin is notorious for routing you down deadends that in the countryside (where I live) end up being bridlepaths or worse, so in places I don't know I double check or use www.bikehike.co.uk which does give you an elevation guide. Bike hike uses OS maps so it is easy to see when you have planned a road bike route (like yesterdays for me where Garmin tried to route me through a field using a public footpath!)... I caught that one with bikehike.

gbs

Guru
Don't think you can, until after you have cycled it with Garmin. I often have researched a route elsewhere first because Garmin is notorious for routing you down deadends that in the countryside (where I live) end up being bridlepaths or worse, so in places I don't know I double check or use www.bikehike.co.uk which does give you an elevation guide. Bike hike uses OS maps so it is easy to see when you have planned a road bike route (like yesterdays for me where Garmin tried to route me through a field using a public footpath!)... I caught that one with bikehike.

Weird that they have the raw data but do not complete the course summary form. I will lobby garmin.

On the 800, spanner/systems/routing gives options for bicycle, car, pedestrian routing. This has in my limited experience worked well.

Top Bottom