Questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
spandex said:
my wife is making me go x mas shopping on saturday:sad:

time to fall off the bike again then ;)

Noodley

I see everyone has forgotten about the other Reindeer - Olive.
She's even in the song:

"Olive, the other reindeer, used to laugh and call him names" ;)
:tongue::smile:

Abitrary

laurence said:
well, he'd have been an Otterman back in those days. think the legend goes along the lines that a man was having to 'sell' his daughter off in marriage to get a dowry as he was so poor. Mr Claus (or whatever) was a rich man and one night he climbed onto the roof of the old man's house and dropped gold coins down the chimney to save the girl.

Dunno about the chimney, but I think it was to do with dowries, and I think St Nicolas threw 3 bags of gold through the window.

Those are what are represented in the pawnbroker sign

I thought (though I could easily be wrong) that Santa's red and white suit, the fact that he comes down the chimney, and the flying reindeer all have their origins in one legend. Many years ago when people in Norway used to live in underground snow caves, the indigenous reindeer population used to eat Fly Agaric mushrooms (which are red and white, and hallucinogenic) and get sufficiently ripped to go hurtling through the forest. Occasionally one would fall through the roof of one of the snow houses, surprising the occupants and giving rise to the aforementioned legends.
Now I write it all down, I realise how far fetched it sounds. ;)

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
So, St George was probably a Turk, and now we find out that Father Christmas is a turk as well. All down to the kebab shop, shish and doners all round. i'm going to change my name to Stavros.:blush:

Top Bottom