QUICK!!!! 3 chainring shifters work on 2 ring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

02GF74

Über Member
Will 3 chainring STI shifters work on 2 a ring?

Can the thrid (small) ring be disabled in the shifter?

What happens if the shifter is dropped to ring 3 - is it just the cable going really loose?

Yes.
No.
Yes.

It's important that you set it up to use the middle and big ring clicks in the shifter because due to the front mech swing radius the shifter pulls a different amount of cable from granny to middle than from middle to big ring.

Depends which shifters.

As you're saying STI, I assume you mean Shimano rather than Campag.

Current 10sp, Shimano only sell one 105 shifter ST-5600 which does both double or triple, but they sell different Ultegra shifters for double ST-6600 and triple ST-6603.
But the old 9sp Ultegra shifter ST-6510 did both double and triple

Current Tiagra ST-4500 or the older ST-440 did both double or triple.

But 8sp Sora had different double and triple shifters - I don't know about 9sp.

I don't understand myself what difference it would make - surely should be able to, as Mickle says, set-up the 'big' and 'middle' ring positions for the two rings of a double, on any of them.

Transit

Sorry to hijack this a bit but do I presume rightly that the shift between the middle and big ring pulls more cable than small to middle?

I'm asking cos I had problems with my Ultegra triple chainset at the wkend. Up to now it has been silkly smooth for a couple of years, however, when shifting from the big ring it is losing the chain off the middle - seems to have developed an extra 'shift'.

I recabled and tried to set it up and I still seem to have an extra shift which I have set up from small to middle ring. It is quite precise and small adjustments cause the shifting to go rubbish - my experience with doubles have been that you don't have to be absolutely precise but it does help.

Any help much appreciatted!

PS As said, sorry to hijack (especially on first post) but think it is related and think the thread was finished....almost:smile:

Do you mean that you used to have three click positions (little ring, middle, big) and now you suddenly have four ?

If so, I don't understand. You should always have had four.

Ultegra has one position for the big ring at one extreme, one for the little ring at the other, and two in between both for the middle - the 'trim' positions, which move the front mech slightly in or out, not enough to actually change rings but enough to stop the chain rubbing.
This allows you to set it up to use the left 3/4 of the block in the middle ring in one trim position but when you go over into the other 1/4 the chainline means it'll start to rub on the front mech, so you can move it over into the other trim posistion which allows you to use the right 3/4 of the block.
Obviously you only have trim for the middle ring, as you don't cross-over and use the whole of the block in either big or little rings.

Transit

I see. That makes sense. That answers my question perfectly. I'll check that out tonight. I guess I always did have four but didn't notice as it operated very smoothly. I do still have a tiny adjustment that happens when the chain is on the small ring and the shifter at it's lowest pt. I click once and the derailleur moves about 1mm. I think this is because the cable is too slack initially but probably set up wrong cos I wasn't sure what I was trying to achieve (until now!)

Anyway, I'll have a play around later with what you've described and I'm sure all will be right.

Thanks for the help Andy

Top Bottom