Quick advice from London Commuters please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisW

I have an appointment at Guy's Hospital at 4.20 and as it's such i nice day i was going to leave early and do a couple of laps of Hyde Park and then a couple of Regent's Park before heading south.

What is the best route from Hyde Park to Regent's Park, avoiding the bus-ridden nightmare that it Oxford Street?

Chris

walker

ChrisW said:
I have an appointment at Guy's Hospital at 4.20 and as it's such i nice day i was going to leave early and do a couple of laps of Hyde Park and then a couple of Regent's Park before heading south.

What is the best route from Hyde Park to Regent's Park, avoiding the bus-ridden nightmare that it Oxford Street?

Chris

erm.... go by tube?

OP
OP
ChrisW

ChrisW

Thanks but both are really busy. If necessary for a commute, yep, but i was hoping to have a nice ride through a quiet back street...(wishful thinking)

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Looking at the map, I'd suggest leaving from the top of Hyde Park @ Lancaster Gate, cut up Sussex Gardens(round the back of Paddington)and then straight up to the Marylebone Rd. which brings you upto the bottom of Regents Park.

Watch out for the cabbies on Marylebone Rd. tho as they do like to bully you in the bus lanes.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
I'd say nix the Edgeware Rd. it is too hectic and everyone is racing to each of the numerous sets of lights, plus the right turn onto Marylebone IIRC can be a tad hairy!

You could also take a right up Gloucester Place which brings you to the lower west edge of Hyde Park, and cuts out most of the Marylebone Rd.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
tdr1nka said:
Looking at the map, I'd suggest leaving from the top of Hyde Park @ Lancaster Gate, cut up Sussex Gardens(round the back of Paddington)and then straight up to the Marylebone Rd. which brings you upto the bottom of Regents Park.

Watch out for the cabbies on Marylebone Rd. tho as they do like to bully you in the bus lanes.

Seconded, it's the route I take.

OP
OP
ChrisW

ChrisW

Thanks guys,

Looking at the map, i'm now thinking Seymour Street, Wigmore Street then up Marlybone High Street and into Regent's Park at York Gate.

Now officially bored at work and want to leave whilst there is still a bit of sun...but can't quite do it yet!

Have a good one.

tdr1nka said:

Good way to go T1nky dr1nky! ;)

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Ta!
I used to commute from Brixton to Ladbrook Grove for years and would often have to go via another office on the Harrow Rd.
I hated Edgware Rd. and after a friend on a motorbike was totalled by a driver making a right hand turn I swore never to ride it again.

Can I offer one extra piece of advice to anyone approaching Marble Arch from the south up Park Lane?
Don't use the bus lane that cuts out the Bayswater Rd. Edgeware Rd. Oxford St. junction. IMO it's far safer to use the lights and hold primary than to try and get out from the bus lane, which unless you are fast and lucky is a nightmare.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
BentMikey said:
Oops, I often use that shortcut bus lane, on my skates too! Faster acceleration though.

TBH I only did it again recently after a good 6 years of not cycling in 'central' London, maybe I've just lost some of my nerve?!:ohmy:

But I do think that if you don't necessarily know that junction it is best to ride to the lights. Oh yeah, and give the bendy busses plenty of room!

Top Bottom