Quick cassette question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RedBullet

so i have tiagra 9 speed and the chain needs replacing so im goin to change the rear cassette, now my question. instead of getting a tiagra 9speed cassette, can i get a ultegra 9 speed? or is it not as simple as that.

Do you need to change the cassette? I go through three or four chains before the cassette needs changing.

OP
OP
RedBullet

RedBullet

well my chain tool says its at 0.75 so no but i feel like i should change it for what it costs. Heres another question then. i find my tiagra shifters ugly because of the exposed cable system. so could i get ultegra shifters on it (obviously 9 speed ones). is that as simple as that?

OP
OP
RedBullet

RedBullet

ahhhhh bugger. and to tranfers to ten speed i would have to change shifters, rear cassette , chain, rear mech? , hub?

OP
OP
RedBullet

RedBullet

ok thanks for the replies, why is there a possibility i wouldnt need to change my rear mech, surely i would although i wouldnt be able to afford everything at once

jay clock

Massive member
sorry, you would do only need to change mech if you wanted it to match. The older ones will work fine with 10 speed

Venod

Eh up
ok thanks for the replies, why is there a possibility i wouldnt need to change my rear mech, surely i would although i wouldnt be able to afford everything at once

The rear mech just moves the amount determined by the lever, it you disconnect the lever you can pull the mech to any position you require.

bpsmith

Veteran
The rear mech just moves the amount determined by the lever, it you disconnect the lever you can pull the mech to any position you require.
Indeed. The shifting may not be as smooth though, based on the 9 speed derailleur and jockey wheels being designed for the wider 9 speed chain.

e-rider

crappy member
ahhhhh bugger. and to tranfers to ten speed i would have to change shifters, rear cassette , chain, rear mech? , hub?
you might not like the cables but it has its advantages - i.e. you can change the gear cables without having to change the bar tape at the same time! Wrapping bar tape is also much easier with only one cable under it.

Top Bottom