Quick Curry Sauce Recipes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Ok team, I make my own curry sauce chucking a few spices together and it generally works out pretty well providing I don't overdo it on the chilli powder as Mrs 3BM doesn't enjoy the eating molten lava experience. Anyone got a sure-fire guaranteed winner of a sauce recipe that's reasonably uncomplicated and they'd like to share with fellow CCers?

If anyone mentions Lloyd Grossman and jars then they're barred.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Pataks' pastes take some beating.

I can make restaurant quality curries but Pataks' pastes are the best shortcut to a quality result.

GM

Legendary Member
My Son makes a mean Dhansak curry, delicious.

Chicken Dhansak

Step 1 – Curry Base

1 large onion, chopped
3 cherry tomatoes
2 garlic cloves
½ a carrot
½ a green or red pepper
2 tbsp sunflover/veg oil
pinch of salt, turmeric, coriander

Add enough water to cover the ingredients and boil for 30 minutes or until onion & peppers are soft enough to be cut with a spoon.

Blend the curry base into a smooth consistency.

Step 2 – lentil mix

Measure 150g of red lentils, boil with ½ a finely chopped onion, pinch of salt & turmeric and splash of oil for about 20 minutes or until soft and mushy. Drain the lentils and gently fry them in a tbsp of butter and 2 crushed garlic cloves for a minute or so, stirring constantly to prevent burning.

Step 3 – Putting it all together

In a large frying pan with a lid add 7 tbps oil

Add ½ a finely chopped onion with a pinch of salt

Add a crushed garlic clove

Turn the heat right up,

Add 1 heaped chefs spoon of curry powder, 1 chefs spoon of sugar, about a tsp of chili powder (to your preference), 2 chefs spoons lemon juice and stir it all quickly together to create a rich smelling curry paste.

Add the curry base, stir

Add 4 or 5 chopped chicken breasts, and about 250ml of water, stir

Turn heat down and simmer for 25 minutes with the lid on, stirring occasionally

Add the lentil mix & stir it in

Simmer for a further 10 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent the lentils from sticking to the bottom of the pan.

Add plenty of chopped fresh coriander and serve.

Pilau rice

Wash & soak 1 large mug full of good quality basmati rice (tilda)

In a pyrex casserole dish, add 1 tbsp butter

Add 1 inch of cinnamon stick, 3 green cardamoms, 1 black cardamom, 1 star anise, 2 bay leaves, ½ a tsp of cumin seeds & 3 cloves

Put the lid on a microwave the butter and spices for 3 or 4 minutes.

Add the drained & washed rice, stir it into the melted butter spice mix and microwave with the lid on for a further 1m 30sec

Add about a mug and a 1/3 of boiling water from the kettle, or until the water covers the rice by a few millimeters.

Stir and microwave for 11 minutes (850w) with the lid on.

Fluff the rice, add a small amount of butter and a few drops of colouring and place in a warm oven on the lowest setting for 20 minutes (optional)

Leave to cool for a couple of hours and then reheat for a minute or so in the microwave.

The flavour improves after the rice has cooled and tastes even better the day after.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod

Chicken Dhansak

Step 1 – Curry Base

1 large onion, chopped
3 cherry tomatoes
2 garlic cloves
½ a carrot
½ a green or red pepper
2 tbsp sunflover/veg oil

Add enough water to cover the ingredients and boil for 30 minutes or until onion & peppers are soft enough to be cut with a spoon.

Step 2 – lentil mix

Measure 150g of red lentils, boil with ½ a finely chopped onion, pinch of salt & turmeric and splash of oil for about 20 minutes or until soft and mushy. Drain the lentils and gently fry them in a tbsp of butter and 2 crushed garlic cloves for a minute or so, stirring constantly to prevent burning.

Turn the heat right up,

Add 1 heaped chefs spoon of curry powder, 1 chefs spoon of sugar, about a tsp of chili powder (to your preference), 2 chefs spoons lemon juice and stir it all quickly together to create a rich smelling curry paste.

Add the curry base, stir

Simmer for a further 10 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent the lentils from sticking to the bottom of the pan.

Pilau rice

Add 1 inch of cinnamon stick, 3 green cardamoms, 1 black cardamom, 1 star anise, 2 bay leaves, ½ a tsp of cumin seeds & 3 cloves

Add the drained & washed rice, stir it into the melted butter spice mix and microwave with the lid on for a further 1m 30sec

Add about a mug and a 1/3 of boiling water from the kettle, or until the water covers the rice by a few millimeters.

Fluff the rice, add a small amount of butter and a few drops of colouring and place in a warm oven on the lowest setting for 20 minutes (optional)

Leave to cool for a couple of hours and then reheat for a minute or so in the microwave.

The flavour improves after the rice has cooled and tastes even better the day after.

I'm going to try this!

Reactions: GM

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Pataks' pastes take some beating.

I can make restaurant quality curries but Pataks' pastes are the best shortcut to a quality result.
Yep.

Dans bastard kidneys.
1lb lamb kidneys
3 TBS Pataks jalfrezi paste
1 large onion, rough cut.
1 head garlic, peeled and crushed.
Big lump ginger, chopped.
Handful of chillies.
1/2 pint yoghurt
Tin tomatoes.

Cook off onions garlic ginger and chilliesin a splash of oil- add kiddleys. Brown. Add paste, yog and toms. Cook for ten mins. Stick it in the oven on a medium light until you've finished whatever you're doing. Serve with rice and bread. Ace.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Yep.

[...]

Cook off onions garlic ginger and chilliesin a splash of oil- add kiddleys. Brown. Add paste, yog and toms. Cook for ten mins. Stick it in the oven on a medium light until you've finished whatever you're doing. Serve with rice and bread. Ace.

Mmmmmmm.........

A visit to the butchers is now on my to do list.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod

Chicken Dhansak

Step 1 – Curry Base

1 large onion, chopped
3 cherry tomatoes
2 garlic cloves
½ a carrot
½ a green or red pepper
2 tbsp sunflover/veg oil

Step 2 – lentil mix

Turn the heat right up,

Add the curry base, stir

Pilau rice

I made this minus the lentils last night and really enjoyed it. Please pass on my thanks to your son!

Cubist

Still wavin'
Ok team, I make my own curry sauce chucking a few spices together and it generally works out pretty well providing I don't overdo it on the chilli powder as Mrs 3BM doesn't enjoy the eating molten lava experience. Anyone got a sure-fire guaranteed winner of a sauce recipe that's reasonably uncomplicated and they'd like to share with fellow CCers?

If anyone mentions Lloyd Grossman and jars then they're barred.
Any decent curry sauce takes time to put together, and there aren't really any shortcuts, but if Mrs 3bm likes it spicy but not too fiery, try my lamb on the bone curry.CC recipe thread.

Otherwise, treat yourself to Kris Dhillon's book, The Curry Secret. She explains how to make a curry base from the three magic ingredients, onions, garlic, ginger in bulk quantities and store it in curry sized portions until needed. The initial base manufacture is a bit of a faff, but to be fair, there are no shortcuts to a decent curry.

Otherwise, my tried and tested favourite is a basic massala sauce of

6 tablespoons vegetable oil

Wet spices
1 large onion chopped
1 teaspoon ginger puree
3 teaspoons garlic puree
squeeze of tomato puree
heaped teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon haldi (turmeric)
tin of chopped tomatoes blitzed (or carton of tomato passata)

dry spices
3 heaped teaspoons garam massala
1 heaped tspn jeera
1 teaspoon coriander powder
1 teaspoon paprika
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon powdered chilli (to taste, obviously!)
4 cloves
teaspoon khala jeera (black cumin seeds, optional)
piece of cinammon bark

On a medium heat put the onion, ginger and garlic into the oil and fry without browning for 8 to 10 minutes. Once the onion has softened add the salt, tomato puree and turmeric and enough water to cover it and simmer for another five minutes. Add the blended tomatoes and simmer the entire mixture for another five minutes or so adding a drop of water if necessary and stirring to prevent sticking. It may form a scum on the top which needs skimming off.

Put the dry spices into a dry frying pan and heat until you get a toasty spice smell from them, then stir them into the wet spice mixture.
Although it sounds cooked, the above should really be used as the basis for a long slow curry, mixed with browned meat and stock and left on a low flame for an hour or so.

You can cook it out: before you add the dry spices simmer the mixture for about twenty minutes, adding water and skimming as necessary, then using it as a base for ready cooked meat after adding the dry spices.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
My cunning plan for curry heaven involved marrying a wonderful Indian girl ! Extreme i know,but the food is fantastic and our children even more so ! Anyone want to know my secret to burning baked beans ?

Top Bottom