CC recipe thread.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Seafood Sauteé; or what should have really been my first attempt at a home-made Paella. But as it was me, I forgot to check a recipe, or the ingredients beforehand, so this was an ideal opportunity for me to ad-lib more or less from the off: However, it worked, and was surprisingly tasty with two platefulls polished off in almost record time.

Ingredients: Serves Two

500g of mixed Seafood; we used the frozen one from Iceland which contained: Squid rings, Mussels, Shrimps and Prawns: allow to fully thaw out before cooking.

3 Gloves of Garlic ~~ crushed.

1/2 Red Onion ~~ diced.

1/2 Red Bell Pepper ~~ diced.

100 g Button Mushrooms ~~ diced.

8 Cherry Tomatoes ~~ quartered.

1/2 glass of Ruby Port.

6 Tablespoons of Fruit Vinegar ~~ we used some of our very agreeable Damson Vinegar.

A small pinch of Saffron ~~ steeped in 1/2 cup of warm water for at least 10 minutes.

2 Tablespoons Extra virgin Olive oil.

100g Paella or Rissoto rice.

Fry off the crushed Garlic in the Olive oil in a large sauteé pan, add the onions and soften, add the Peppers, then the mushrooms and tomatoes, continue frying on a high heat as you add the Ruby Port and the Sea food. Bring back to the boil, add the fruit vinegar, and then simmer for 3-4 minutes; add a little water if necessary do not over cook as all that will do is toughen up the Seafood. Add the Steeped Saffron and the water and return to boil. Add the Rice and cover the sautteé pan with a lid. Continue cooking, stirring occosionally until the rice has soaked most of the liquid and is ready.

Serve immediatly on pre-warmed plates, with warm crusty bread, and a decent Bottle of Red wine; We drank a bottle of Broadland Sloe wine with our Seafood simmer.

Simmering away nicely in the sauteé pan:

Garethtempfile114.jpg

On the plate and ready to go:

Garethtempfile116.jpg

Eurygnomes

I had this published in TNT (it took MUCH home practice, a few hangovers and several games of poker to get the correct recipe) - so it's great if you are an Antipodean (esp. Kiwi) and missing the Butter Chicken that you can get there.

Enjoy!

2-3tbsp of butter, unsalted
1 onion - chopped
1/4 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp garlic - crushed
2 tsp ginger - crushed
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1-2 tsp chilli powder
1 tbsp ground coriander
400g boneless, skinless chicken
1/4 - 1/2 cup ground almonds/cashews
1 can of Batchelors condensed tomato soup (it has to be this brand, I'm afraid)
1/2 cup natural yoghurt

in heavy pan, melt the butter till it's frothy
Add the onion and cinnamon, and fry gently till soft
Add ginger and garlic. Stir
Add turmeric, chilli powder and turmeric.
Add chicken, fry until white.
Add tomato soup, same volume of hot water (rinse out the tin can) and nuts. Simmer for 30mins
Add yoghurt before serving, and stir off the heat.

Yummmmmmmmmmmmm!

Cubist

Still wavin'
I've been waiting until this one works every time before I post it. It's an on the bone lamb curry, so won't suit you if you're used to chicken tikka massala and aren't prepared to pick it up and eat it with your fingers!!

If you can find this in a restaurant it will be called something like a Lamb Handi, Dhesi or sometimes even known as staff curry. I have been experimenting to get it right ever since I had one a year ago and there is absolutely no shortcuts to be found, it really needs hours of slowcooking!

Sainsbury's do a large pack of stewing lamb in their basics selection, which is perfect, but you could of course use any on the bone stewing lamb, such as neck, shin, breast etc.

Two large onions
200 ml vegetable oil
1 tsp salt
Tin chopped tomatoes
Bulb of garlic or four heaped teaspoonsful of garlic puree
1 inch root ginger
1/2 tsp turmeric
1kg stewing lamb on the bone
Four heaped teaspoons garam massala
Two heaped tsp paprika powder
two tsp coriander
tsp black cumin seeds or 1 tsp cumin powder
6 cloves
4 black cardomum pods
2 inch piece of cinamon stick
3/4 pint of stock made with 2 oxo cubes
4-5 fresh green chillies to taste.
Bunch fresh coriander

Stage one.
Blend the onion, garlic and ginger into a mush and add to the 200ml oil in a stovetop safe casserole eg Le Creuset, (Or if you don't have one, do the cooking in this stage in a large frying pan/wok and transfer into a casserole in the oven later.) Cook this at a medium to low heat for about 10 minutes without browning it. Blend the tinned tomatoes into a smooth liquid. Take a couple of tablepoons of the garlic/onion ginger mix out and keep to one side.
Add the salt, turmeric and tomato blend to the casserole and bring to the boil. Let it simmer for about ten more minutes, again on a low heat
adding a splash of water to keep it from sticking.

Next you need to gently roast the dry spices, from garam massala to cinnamon stick on the list. To do this simply heat up a large dry frying pan and add the powdered spices. After a minute or so you will start to get a toasted/roasted smell from the spices. Stir them quickly to stop them from burning and as soon as the roasted smell gets strong, empty them into the casserole dish, stirring quiclky to create a thick brown paste in the casserole.

Chop the lamb into manageable pieces with a meat cleaver, so you get half discs of neck, lumps of shin about three inches across, half ribs with all the meat still on them, you get the picture! Brown these in a frying pan or wok using the two tablespoons of onion sauce mix as a coating, then add them to the casserole.

Now use the stock to deglaze the browning pan and add it to the casserole. Bring it to the boil and put the lid on, and into a warm oven 130 degrees for about three to four hours, or all day at 100degrees.

Half an hour before serving you will need to skim it as there will be a good inch of oil on the surface of the casserole. The one I did yesterday produced a mugful! Don't be tempted to try and make this with reduced oil at the start, as it's crucial to the way the wet spices cook.

Now the tricky bit. The curry you have produced is at the mild to medium scale as it is. It has very little chilli fire, but has very warming spices from the garram massala. You will enjoy it now, but I think a bit of green chilli in it at this stage just puts the finishing touches to it. Add two or three deseeded and halved if you like it medium, or go the whole hog and add three or four chopped without taking the seeds out for a bit more spice.

Chop up the coriander leaves and add half now, stirring it in and putting it back in the oven for half an hour, and the rest sprinkled on the top as a garnish when serving.

This is a fantastic dish for four or so to share out of the same pot with your own naan or (even better if you ask me) some big thick tandoori roti.
Fight over the bones, this is a really good winter evening dish for a family or friends.

Lager is probably the best accompaniment, but a bone dry Italian white would go with it every bit as well as a big hefty Rioja.

Brown Bread Ice Cream
I can't find my friend's version, so this comes from Sophie Grigson. My version doesn't use rum, so it's optional, otherwise this is close to my version I think.
Cook time: 20 min + freezing timeServes:1-8Miles cycling to burn off calorieslots

Ingredients
  • 60 g brown sugar
  • 110 g wholemeal breadcrumbs
  • 300 ml single cream, (or substitute single cream mixed with milk, or use just milk)
  • 1 vanilla pods, slit in half lengthways
  • 1 egg yolks
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tbsp dark rum (optional)
  • 300 ml double cream

Method
1. Set the oven to 200°C/gas 6. Mix the breadcrumbs with 100g of the sugar, and spread out on a baking tray. Bake for 8-12 minutes, stirring at least twice until the breadcrumbs are golden and have melded with the sugar. Don't let it burn! As soon as they are done, and while still very hot, stir again, scraping up any pieces that have stuck to the tray. Keep stirring for a few minutes, until the crumbs have cooled slightly and are crisp rather than sticky. Leave to cool.

2. Put the single cream into a pan with the vanilla pod and bring up to the boil. Draw off the heat, cover and leave to infuse for 15 minutes, then bring back almost to the boil. Meanwhile, whisk the egg and yolk with the remaining sugar until pale and fluffy.

3. Whisk in the hot infused cream, then pour the mixture back into the pan. Stir over a low heat for a few minutes until the custard thickens slightly. Draw off the heat, stir in the rum and then pour into a clean bowl. Leave to cool, stirring occasionally.

4. Whisk the double cream until it just about holds its shape but is still a little sloppy, and then fold into the custard, with the breadcrumbs. Freeze in an ice-cream making machine or if you don't have one, pour the mixture into a shallow container and place in the freezer, set to its lowest setting. Leave until the sides are beginning to set, then break them up and push into the centre. Leave for another half hour or so, and repeat. Now leave until the ice cream has just about set but is not yet rock hard. Beat hard with a wooden spoon to break up all the ice crystals. Return to the freezer and leave to finish freezing.

5. Transfer from the freezer to the fridge a good 30-40 minutes before serving, to soften

Mistake there somewhere. Googled for it and same mistake in that recipe as well. But never mind tried, some anyway and got it approved by 3 out of 4 of us. Sure it would have been better if the carton of double cream lurking at the back of the fridge had been double cream and not single :blush:
I'm going to give it another go but am wondering if I could substitute step 1 with crushed Frosties instead. Ice cream for breakfast!

Simple Cajun Chicken- speedy to cook and very tasty.

1 chicken breast per person (or more if you are hungry from a long ride)
Schwartz Just Shake Cajun Spice
Cooking oil
Creme Fraiche - normal or reduced fat, either will work

Coat the chicken in a dusting of the Cajun spice. Heat the oil in a frying pan and add the chicken. Cook for a few minutes each side until it is nearly cooked through, just showing a little pink.

Add as many tablespoons of creme fraiche as you need for a nice sauce and mix well, scraping the pan base to get all the spices mixed in. The oil and spices will mix with the creme fraiche to give a lovely spicy, creamy sauce. When the chicken is fully cooked serve at once with veggies and / or rice.

For a lower-fat option omit the creme fraiche and just fry the chicken with the spice coating, taking care that it does not become too dry, and serve with a lemon wedge to squeeze on top if liked.

You can also dust fresh tuna or salmon steaks with the Cajun spice and fry or grill them- this is also a quick and easy meal.

No problem T, here goes...

Salt, chilli powder (chilli pepper, cumin, salt, oregano & garlic), red bell peppers, black pepper, white pepper, maltodextrin, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, allspice (this is a berry, not a mix of spices), ginger, coriander seed, cumin, fennel, herbs, yeast extract, mustard seed, cardamom, thyme, vegetable oil, flavouring, silicon dioxide (anti-caking agent).

It is described as suitable for vegetarians- mustard seed may be a red flag for allergies though?

scots_lass

Chicken & Leek Pie

1 oz butter
2 leeks
2 carrots
14 fluid ozs chicken stock
1 tbl plain flour
2 tsps dijon mustard
12 ozs cooked chicken
3 tbl double cream
2 tbl fresh parsely

2 ozs melted butter
and 12 sheets filo pastry

or
pkt puff pastry

Melt butter and add in chopped leeks and carrots. Leave to soften for a few minutes. Add in flour and slowly add the stock stirring all the while. Simmer for 10-15 mins.
Add the rest of the ingredients and pour into casserole dish.
If using filo pastry, brush each sheet with melted butter, scrunch up and place on top.
If using puff pastry, roll out and cover top of dish.
Heat in oven at 180 deg C for about 20-25 mins (bit longer if using puff pastry).

QUORN & PARSNIP KORMA
Inspired by an enquiry on the Weight Watchers thread. This is actually a way of 'using up' parsnip of which we often have a surfeit (thanks to Mr Riverford :rolleyes: ). The sweet flavour of parsnip and the dryish, rather neutral quorn flavour complement each other well.

(serves 4)

375g packet quorn pieces
1 pot (about 125g) natural (unsweetened) yogurt
1 tomato
1 onion
1 large parsnip
1 clove garlic
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon coriander
1 teaspoon cumin
½ teaspoon chilli powder or 1-2 fresh chillis chopped (to taste)
salt and pepper

Chop onion. Crush garlic. Chop tomato. Peel and slice parsnip.
Fry garlic and onion in a little oil in a big saucepan.
Add curry spices and fry for a few seconds.
Add quorn pieces and parsnip.
Add yogurt, tomato, seasoning, and a little water or stock. (I usually fill the yogurt pot with water.)
Cook gently for about twenty minutes or until tomato is soft and tastes blended, and parsnips are soft.

Serve with rice.

Top Bottom