CC recipe thread.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TVC

Headgardener said:
Just made TheVelvetCurtain's potato and cheese soup, both my dad and I thought it was brilliant:smile:.

Thank you :evil:

There's never a failure with that one, so simple. I can't remember where I got it from, so I don't know who to blame.

scots_lass

I feel the need for chocolate so I am going to make this tomorrow.

Chocolate Fudge Fingers

4ozs margarine
6ozs sugar
2 tbls syrup
8ozs digestive biscuits
1 sm tin condensed milk
6ozs chocolate
Put margarine, syrup sugar and milk into pan and melt slowly. Bring to a gentle boil for 6 mins. Remove from heat and beat well. Add crushed biscuits and mix. Spoon into well greased tin. Leave to set. Melt chocolate and pour over.

Enjoy!

I'll be cutting and pasting these into my recipe scrapbook!
Soup recipes:
Butternut squash and parsnip soup

You'll need:
A butternut squash
A parsnip
A big white onion
Some rosemary/other herbs
Olive oil
Some chicken or veg stock
Seasoning.

Cut the butternut in half (don't peel it), from top to bottom, roughly chop the parsnip (peeled), and cut the onion in half (peel it first). Put in a roasting pan with the herbs and drizzle with olive oil. Roast in the oven on gas 5 for about 40 mins.
Put it all in a blender and blend it up. Add the stock until the soup is the consistency you want - season it then. You can add other things to the roasting pan for flavour eg chilli, garlic etc

Butternut squash soup
You will need:
A buttenut squash
Ginger 1.5" cube, grated
Ground cumin
Stock of some kind
Seasoning

Peel and cut up a butternut and put it in a pan on the stove. Grate the ginger and squeeze out the juice from the gratings into a pan. Put the gratings in the pan. Add 1tsp cumin. Pour on the stock (about a pint) and simmer for half an hour. Blend. You'll get a very silky smooth soup.

Burger recipes which are my own inventions - the key is to use fish sauce to provide the saltiness in the burgers. If you use salt they will dry out when cooking and break up. You can also use a decent soy sauce or miso paste to get the same effect.

Thai Turkey Burgers

You will need:
A pack of turkey mince
1 medium onion,finely chopped
2 tbsp fish sauce
1 tbsp lime juice
Finely chopped fresh chilli
Finely chopped fresh garlic
An egg
Some flour.

Bung everything except the flour in a bowl and make sure it's thorughly mixed. Form it into patties, coat them in flour, then griddle them for 15 - 20 mins.

Chilli beef burgers
You will need
A pack of beef mince
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 finely chopped red chilli
1 tsp cumin
2 tbsp fish sauce
1 egg
Some flour

As above combine everything in a bowl, form into patties, coat with flour and then griddle

Cubist

Still wavin'
Posted it in Scots Lass's curry thread, but copy and paste it here anyway?
Pataks Tikka paste can be used to make decent attempts at a Chicken Tikka Massala:

2 whole chicken breasts cut into 1.5 inch cubes
Vegetable oil for frying
Medium onion
Half jar of Pataks Tikka Massala paste
Small pot of plain yoghurt
Tablespoon of tomato puree
teaspoon sugar
squeeze of lemon juice
300 ml water.
Handful of chopped fresh coriander

Dice the onion, and fry it gently in a wok or large pan. Use enough oil for the onion to be covered (you can drain it off later) Sweat it, but don't let it brown, for about 6 minutes. Add the Tikka paste and stir fry it on a medium/low heat, being careful not to let it catch on the pan base, for about 1 minute.

Increase the heat, add the diced chicken and sir this into the spice paste, cooking it until it is coloured through.

Add the tomato puree, sugar and the lemon juice and once again incorporate this into the mix.

Add the water, mixing the ingredients thoroughly into it and simmer, covered for about 15 to twenty minutes. You'll need to stir it occasionally.

After simmering time add the yoghurt and stir into the curry. Don't let it boil from here or you may curdle the youghurt! If you are feeling particularly extravagant add a drop of cream to the mix as well.

Stir in half the coriander and remove from the heat.

Garnish each portion with the remaining coriander leaves

Serve with Naan bread or chapattis.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Bran Loaf

Good cyclist energy food with plenty of dietary fibre. The cup measure used is around 225ml.

1 cup All Bran
1 cup dried mixed fruit
Half cup of Muscovado Sugar
(Optional) a tablespoon of Marmalade.
1 cup of milk
1 cup self raising flour
teaspoon of mixed spice.

A basic mix of currants/raisins/sultanas will do fine for the dried fruit but chopped apricots, glace cherries or peel can also be added. Those with a less sweet tooth can reduce or remove the sugar.

Thoroughly mix the All Bran, fruit, sugar, marmalade, milk and mixed spice in a large bowl and leave to stand for at least 90 minutes. At end of stand time add the flour (sifted) and mix again - a little more milk may be needed.

PLace the mix in a lined 500g loaf tin and bake at 150C for approx 75 mins, checking after an hour. Done when its firm and a skewer comes out reasonably clean.

Serve in slices spred with unsalted butter.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Liver & Onions

Get 4 tbsp of plain flour, season well in a small bowl with freshly ground salt and black pepper. Cut liver into small dice, and coat in the seasoned flour. Heat up a knob of butter and fry the liver till crispy brown. Put aside and keep warm. Heat up a good glass of red wine in the remnants of the fried liver residue, then add 2 crumbled oxo cubes in 500ml boiled water. Bring to the boil then transfer to a casserole dish. Chop 3 or 4 large carrots and add the the casserole, then fry till brown 1 large well chopped onion. Add the onion and liver to the casserole and put in oven preheated at 180 deg c for 45 mins. Boil some potatoes in salted water, and fry some finely diced leek in butter till soft. Season leeks with ground salt & pepper. Mash potatoes (properly) with some milk, knob of butter and season with salt & pepper, then mix in the fried leeks. Serve on a hot plate, ladling the liver and onons over the mash.

Yum. Just had it. ;)

Vegetable Pakoras

I think I posted a version of this in ACF, which is unfortunately defunct and all the excellent recipes people had posted there have gone by the wayside. :biggrin: Well at least I can re-post mine! This is enough for three to four generous servings. OK for vegans.

1 large onion, chopped.
1 large carrot, grated.
Other assorted vegetables, whatever you have available, selected from: broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, parsnip, turnip, swede, celery, peppers, etc., all chopped or grated, to make total of:
1½ lb (700gm) (including onion and carrot).

2 cloves garlic, crushed.
piece fresh ginger, chopped (optional)
1 tbsp fresh coriander chopped (optional)
2 small green chillis, chopped.

For the batter:
10oz (280gm) gram flour.
2 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp turmeric
½ tsp mustard powder
½ tsp salt, or to taste.
pepper.
water to mix.

Oil for frying.

Mix all the chopped vegetables, the garlic, ginger, coriander and chillis, thoroughly in a large bowl. Pause and enjoy the lovely fresh scent rising from the bowl, for a moment. Then make the batter by mixing the gram flour (and it has to be gram flour, no other sort will work), spices and seasoning with enough water to make a batter which is not too stiff: it should pour slowly off the spoon when you tilt it; but not runny.

Fold the batter into the chopped veg. and mix thoroughly.

Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan until very hot. Put dollops of the mixture - about a heaped tbsp each - in the oil and pat down with spoon to make round flat cakes. Fry, turning once, until golden-brown on both sides. Lift carefully out of oil and drain on kitchen paper. Serve hot with salad and chutney, raita, etc. Can also be eaten cold.:blush:

(*bumped*)

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Butterbean Soup

Just made some today. A Vernon original recipe.

Two small onions sliced thinly
Two large sticks of celery sliced thinly
8 oz of dried butterbeans soaked overnight and boiled or pressure cooked until tender.
14 oz tin of chopped tomatoes
Salt
Pepper
Thyme
Rosemary
Olive oil

1 Fry the onions and celery in a liberal splurge of olive oil until the onions soften and start to turn golden.
2 Add salt and pepper to taste
3 Add pinch of rosemary and thyme
4 Add tomatoes and simmer for five minutes then allow to cool.
5 Put the mix in a blender/smoothie maker and blend
6 Pour back into saucepan add beans and bring to the boil.
7 Simmer for a minute or two.
8 Serve with crusty bread of choice.

Wonderful!

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
Sitting on the train drooling at these. Don't know whether to go for CPs curry or Vernon's kedgeree first. Mind you those lamb shanks in wine sound a bit nice too.....

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I
Sitting on the train drooling at these. Don't know whether to go for CPs curry or Vernon's kedgeree first. Mind you those lamb shanks in wine sound a bit nice too.....

If you make the curry first, you'll then have some spare sauce for the kedgeree.

Simples :tongue:

Chicken breast in Port with Blue Cheese pockets

A relatively simple recipe, but an absolutely delicious treat.

Per Person

1 Chicken breast.

2 rashers smoked middle bacon

100 ml Port wine

50 g Blue cheese~~~ we used Creamy Irish Blue.

Marinate the chicken breasts in the Port for at least six hours.

cargocycles058.jpg

Split open the chicken breast with a sharp knife.

cargocycles060.jpg

Stuff the Chicken breast with the blue cheese.

cargocycles061.jpg

Wrap two rashers of bacon around each chicken breast; one clockwise, and one anti clockwise, this ensures that the wrap remains tight and the melted cheese doesn't leak out during cooking.

cargocycles063.jpg

Place on to a lightly oiled baking tray, and bake in a hot oven for about 45 minutes.

cargocycles064.jpg

Using the Port that was originally used in the marinade, add a little more Port, a dash of water, a little Salt & Pepper, a pinch of Tarragon, and a little cornflour to thicken, and make a sauce.

cargocycles066.jpg

An exceptional meal for someone special:

cargocycles067.jpg

Shaun

Founder
^^^ Now that's how to do it ... wow ... made me hungry just looking at that plate! :tongue:

Scotch eggs.

Ingredients:

6 hard boiled Eggs.
1 Beaten Egg.
1lb of Sausage Meat.
6 Slices of Stale bread.
1 Tablespoon of Oil, I have used Vegetable oil, but you could use Sunflower, Corn, Olive, etc.
Seasonings; I have used Freshly milled dried Garlic and Chili with Black pepper for the sausage meat, and Ground white Pepper, and Sea Salt with Seaweed for the breadcrumbs.

Measure out the sausage meat and stir the seasoning in well. Stand in the fridge over night.

ScotchEggs001.jpg

Break up the slices of stale bread, and zap with a blender.

ScotchEggs002.jpg

Stir the milled Sea salt and Seaweed, and the ground white pepper into the breadcrumbs.

ScotchEggs003.jpg

Knead the sausage meat with clean hands to remove any trapped air, separate into 6 balls, rolling and squeezing them in the hands until the surface is smooth.

Cover a chopping board in cling film, and then "throw" one of the sausage meat balls at the board, as a potter would throw clay on to the wheel. Cover with another layer of cling film, then roll out with a rolling pin.

ScotchEggs004.jpg

When you have the sausage meat rolled out evenly, roll it on to a hard boiled egg. And then work it in the hands rolling and squeezing until you have a smooth even surface.

ScotchEggs005.jpg

Roll your cannonballs of sausage meat and egg in the breadcrumbs.

ScotchEggs006.jpg

When you have them all covered in Breadcrumbs, place them in the freezer for about 30 minutes.

ScotchEggs007.jpg

Beat an Egg with a teaspoonful of oil and a little Salt & Pepper. Roll the covered eggs in the beaten egg, and then in the breadcrumbs.

ScotchEggs008.jpg

Place on a baking tray and bake in a medium oven for 45-60 minutes

ScotchEggs009.jpg

Remove from the oven, and allow to cool before eating

Still warm from the oven Scotch egg with bread and butter, celery, and mature chedder cheese for supper .... .... .... .... Delicious!

ScotchEggs010.jpg

This is one that you have really got try. I will never go back to factory made Scotch Eggs again

Top Bottom