The CC authors, writers, and bookists thread.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
...I'm thinking of writing a book. A novel in fact.

I have been planning it in my mind for some months - quiet dog walking time gives me two hours a day to think without distraction- and I'm just about there with characters and their backstory, plot, and all that. There will be lots of interesting locations, a smattering of violence, some heart break, and even a love plot.

I'm not expecting to hit the bestseller list and be the next Lee Child - my hero is far more believable than Reacher - but wouldn't complain if it did. No, I'm thinking of doing it for a bit of fun, to pass a bit of time over the hare, cold winter we have coming.

Have any of you most excellent people done anything like this? How did it go? Tips? Advice? Bribes?

And I'll need a pseudonym. A longer first name and a short surname so the publishers can have the surname in large gold embossed letters with the first name in smaller letters above.

Rocky

Hello decadence
I can recommend a pseudonym…..something like Alfred Lord Tennyson or John Le Carre. That should guarantee a few sales.

Every story should have: a setting, characters, chronology, plot, beginning and end, and trouble. Then either the hero gets out of trouble (restitution) or trouble gets the hero (tragedy).

Good luck!!

T4tomo

Legendary Member
"How I ran the 5 minute mile, committed the perfect murder, and other fairy tales"
by Michael Hunt

In all seriousness good luck with it @Drago, a lot of it is good luck, or who you know in the publishing world, as to whether these things are successful or not.

the Richard Osman style is quite in, Andrew Hunter-Murray has worked that out and come up with a decent one of his own.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Become a book reviewer for an insight into writing styles and reader engagement. Set up a blog for this?

Join a book club to understand how readers interpret and enjoy books.

Seek some professional authorship advice re how to develop believable characters and plotlines, build tension and excitement via the written word etc.

Write a few short stories and elicit some feedback.

Etc.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
"How I ran the 5 minute mile, committed the perfect murder, and other fairy tales"
by Michael Hunt

In all seriousness good luck with it @Drago, a lot of it is good luck, or who you know in the publishing world, as to whether these things are successful or not.

the Richard Osman style is quite in, Andrew Hunter-Murray has worked that out and come up with a decent one of his own.

Oh no, we know about the five minute mile failure ! That and his knees/body.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I've read a few "best sellers" that could have done with this advice.

Not being a writer and having no understanding of how the book publishing business work I never cease to be amazed at how so much dross becomes a best-seller.

As an example of my naivete; I have a very intelligent friend who thoroughly enjoys Jack Reacher novels. I could understand this if he was a young teenager.

His response to my question 'why do you read books like that?' was that they were simple, mindless fun that helped him to relax.

I had never thought of reading a book with that approach before.

Top Bottom