The CC authors, writers, and bookists thread.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Good luck 'Dee Raigoh' with your first noir crime based feminist novelo...

Feminist and vegan!

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
I know a lot about this. I would give the following advice:
  • It is a job.
  • Write every morning, Monday to Thursday, from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
  • On Friday morning, go through the week's output, spell-check it, correct it, get it into the final format.
  • Never quit the task during a morning session — even if you produce only one sentence which you will cross out the next day.
  • Always stop at 1 p.m. even if the book is flowing like a torrent.
  • Take standard employee holidays: three weeks in summer, Christmas-New Year, a week in autumn and at Easter.
  • It will take you at least nine months. It may take you five years.
  • Use Scrivener.
  • It will take about the same time it took to write it in order to get it published; self-publishing will be quicker but is a full-time job.
I wish you stamina and success.

Last edited:

tom73

Guru
I know 2 published authors ones a life long school friend who's now an actor. Who's wrote a few plays, short stories and poems.
He's been working on a novel for years and working his way though a screen play. Now he's pretty good at this stuff.
The other my mates former BIL who's a total prat. Sent his novel to a proof reader totally dismissed her findings. This after paying a fortune for her to do it and just carried on. My mates now ex wife who has a English degree read it as did my mate and boy was it bad. So bad they felt so embarrassed to even let my FIL a retired English teacher near it. In the end it bombed big time and cost him a mint.

So if you end up with something in the middle that's half decent then go for it. If it's want you want to do you never know you may sell a decent number. It's easy to get the word out now with SM and you can also self publish.
Trust me if my mates ex BIL can write one. A one armed headless snowman can do a better job.

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I know a lot about this. I would give the following advice:
  • It is a job.
  • Write every morning, Monday to Thursday, from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
  • On Friday morning, go through the week's output, spell-check it, correct it, get it into the final format.
  • Never quit the task during a morning session — even if you produce only one sentence which you will cross out the next day.
  • Always stop at 1p.m. even if the book is flowing like a torrent.
  • Take standard employee holidays: three weeks in summer, Christmas-New Year, a week in autumn and at Easter.
  • It will take you at least nine months. It may take you five years.
  • Use Scrivener.
  • It will take about the same time it took to write it in order to get it published; self-publishing will be quicker but is a full-time job.
I wish you stamina and success.

Blimey, you do know young Drago is retired and very busy with his engagements - this does look like a full time job !!

teeonethousand

I have tried this….it is either still ongoing or failed depending on your point of view😀
I have a plot, characters etc and used mind maps to flesh out all of the threads that go out and eventually come back together. I wrote the first version by typing out the bullet points and/or brief descriptions of what happens in each chapter/section/story step. I then filled in the detail.

My humble thoughts:
- you need a good WP with a great keyboard and predictive text either off or working in you…nothing worse that fighting it.
- details are hard to flesh out properly …mine is way shorter than it needs to be.
- all the above about setting up time and being disciplined …oh yes…..it is a lot harder than it sounds
- you will probably write everything several times before you get it how you want it and then several times after :-)
- get the ending sorted early on as it helps steer things

Good luck and I’d love to hear how you get on.

potsy

Rambler
To be fair, I thought you were mad before you decided to do this :whistle:

I actually look forward to your novel, getting a bit bored of Jack Reacher so need something a little more believable...

Top Bottom