The CC authors, writers, and bookists thread.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
To be fair, I thought you were mad before you decided to do this :whistle:

I actually look forward to your novel, getting a bit bored of Jack Reacher so need something a little more believable...

There's going to be some good violence, but I'm hoping rhe bits in between are a bit more cerebral than Reacher.

The be fair to Lee Child the best of the Reacher books are very good, it's his habit of trotting one out every third Tuesday that is the problem,

Yes, I'm currently writing a novel.

About half is written (and partly polished), the rest is in note form with the plot sorted out and some of the more pivotal later scenes roughly sketched out. I say roughly, because while those scenes have got material in them that's crucial to the plot, it's no point finishing them off, because I need to allow for character development and those odd moments of insight that bring depth to a piece of work.

Discipline is required, yes. But writing is also enjoyable. Not just the actual putting down onto paper, but playing around with ideas, observing life around you, creating characters and places and stories out of your imagination and experiences.

I've actually taken a bit of a break from the novel recently, but that's been to do the research for, and then to write an 11,000 word dissertation tracing the history and provenance of a particular racing car. Which, incidentally, I put the finishing touches to last night. I'm not going to be popular, as I've managed to turn what people thought they knew about the car on its head.

Anyways, if you're looking for one of those "How To" books, then I'd suggest looking for a copy of Michael Legat's "Writing for Pleasure and Profit." It's an oldie but a goodie, and is packed with some sage advice.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
A sub plot to fit in. Launderomat owner gets totally pissed off by recurring and frequent breakages to his machines. A clue remains from one of the incidents. A pair of horrendous Y fronts. After many long nights and days of staking his machines out he discovers Mrs Drago attempting to rescue multiple pairs of Y fronts. After much anger and threatening behaviour it is finally agreed that the laundry approach to sorting these Y fronts will never work. A new invention will be required. Launderomat owner is last seen putting his thinking cap on. Will he succeed? Wait patiently for the next volume to find out!

Dave7

Legendary Member
OK Drago.
You can put your feather quill away, here is your (condensed) plot.
The dastardly, evil murderer is @welsh dragon (but we don't know that until the final page.
The pleasant but hapless victim is @numbnuts (there is a reason for that).
So....Welshie does the deed and digs a hole for the grave.
Typical of Welshie the hole she digs is too small and when she shoves him in his bum is sticking out.
She runs out of time so leaves him there and (obviously) uses it to park her bike.
There are some bits to pad out but its nearly there 🙂

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
It's going to be several sub plots brought together in an almighty crescendo brought about by events beyond the control of any of the characters. There will be some good fisticuffs and the odd dead body cluttering the place up.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
OK Drago.
You can put your feather quill away, here is your (condensed) plot.
The dastardly, evil murderer is @welsh dragon (but we don't know that until the final page.
The pleasant but hapless victim is @numbnuts (there is a reason for that).
So....Welshie does the deed and digs a hole for the grave.
Typical of Welshie the hole she digs is too small and when she shoves him in his bum is sticking out.
She runs out of time so leaves him there and (obviously) uses it to park her bike.
There are some bits to pad out but its nearly there 🙂

Lots of women watching crime programmes. I know how to Bury a body so it will never be found...:reading:

Top Bottom