The CC authors, writers, and bookists thread.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
As an example of my naivete; I have a very intelligent friend who thoroughly enjoys Jack Reacher novels. I could understand this if he was a young teenager.

I quite like them, they are very formulaic and samey so you cant read two in a row, but one once in a while is fine, easy read, fast paced etc, you can tell why they sell in volume despite not being the greatest works of literature, but takes far less concentration than ploughing through an Umberto Eco etc.

one more piece of advice for @Drago , learn to use your spell checker and look at what you've written, otherwise your proof reader will bump you off by chapter 3, twisted gun or not!

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
@Drago, being the avid reader and pedant that I am, I hereby volunteer for proofreading duties...

Thanks O Brother of the Bass. I may well take you up on that.

@T4tomo I have no proper use of or feeling in the two fingers on the outside of my right hand, hence the dreadful typing Ininflict upon you rascalls. I'd deffo spell check very carefully.

Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
@T4tomo I have no proper use of or feeling in the two fingers on the outside of my right hand, hence the dreadful typing Ininflict upon you rascalls. I'd deffo spell check very carefully.

I know you've mentioned that before hence my comment. Us rascals would have less inflicted on us if you bothered to reread stuff before pressing post!!!,, I however appreciated that you retrospectively editing this last post so it made a bit more sense! Good practice for manuscript typing! Maybe get a voice to text app, they are pretty decent nowadays and good for us old boys that were never taught to touch type.

classic33

Leg End Member
Anything like Harry Cole's books about his time in the force?

Some of the things that happen in real life couldn't in a fictional setting.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Without giving too much away it is to be set on one of the islands, although not the one I was raised on. That gives me sufficient familiarity to paint a picture of realism, but sufficient detachment that I don't end up writing about myself.

So far I have larndan gangsters using the island for their own ends, a local old boy, a local trawlerman with a grudge, his ex girlfriend, a recent incomer who is a widower, and something else to throw into the the pot.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
As an example of my naivete; I have a very intelligent friend who thoroughly enjoys Jack Reacher novels. I could understand this if he was a young teenager.

His response to my question 'why do you read books like that?' was that they were simple, mindless fun that helped him to relax.

I had never thought of reading a book with that approach before.
That's how I feel about Jason Statham films... Load of old nonsense really but fun, undemanding, and often quite amusing!

Good luck, Drago.

Without giving too much away it is to be set on one of the islands, although not the one I was raised on. That gives me sufficient familiarity to paint a picture of realism, but sufficient detachment that I don't end up writing about myself.

So far I have larndan gangsters using the island for their own ends, a local old boy, a local trawlerman with a grudge, his ex girlfriend, a recent incomer who is a widower, and something else to throw into the the pot.

Drags...... AND a faithful Labrador!

Top Bottom