CC recipe thread.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chilternrides

Can't claim credit for this, but my sister adapted it from a well known television cook's book; the ingredients and cooking methods vary from the prescribed order in the book, but the result was spot on :tongue:

Let's call it "Poulet Basquaise- ish"

The book recipe calls for whole jointed chickens, and some desirable rather than necessary ingredients, but we adapted and settled for bone-in thighs as there were potentially some fussy eaters joining us however...

For four people:

Eight good sized chicken thighs, bone-in and skin on
150g of chorizo sausage cut into 1cm chunks or 1/4 inch rounds - your choice
Three large white onions
Two or three red pepepers
Eight / ten sun dried tomatoes in olive oil
Two hefty dessert spoonfulls of tomato puree
Four crushed cloves of garlic (variable upon personal taste of course)
500g of (preferably brown or whole, but white will do) basmati rice
1 large orange
Plain flour
Two good handfulls of black olives (pitted or stone - in, your choice)
(Optional) Two or three very finely chopped artichoke hearts
Your preferred selection of fresh herbs (dried will do but use less) - our choice was basil, tarragon and parsley
A bottle of dry white wine (the orginal recipe says a glass and a half, Pah!).
A pint and a half of chicken or veg. stock, (the Knorr stock pots are great for this recipe it may upset the purists but so what?)

Salt is not required as there is sufficient of both in the stock & chorizo, so go your own way with either white pepper or paprika.

Prepare & cook:

Now, chop up the chorizo, and put it on a very low heat in a wok or frying pan - you want the fat and the spices to leak out slowly without really cooking the meat at all.

Meantime, wash, dry & flour the chicken, and chop the onions as small as you can.

By now, there should be some nicely coloured oil released from the chorizo - take the sausage meat out, and put it to one side, place the floured breasts into the oil left in the pan - turn them occasionally until the skin is a very pale brown and has started to release its own fats.

Remove the chicken and put it to one side.
Now, turn the heat up to medium, and add the onions to the residual fats from the chichen & chorizo kepp stirring but don't let them go brown - you want them to be soft and releasing water.
When that happens, add the tomato puree and keep stirring until the soft onion is merely coated with the puree.

Add a glass of wine to the pan and prepare the stock - turn the heat off at this point
Put all of the rice into an oven proof dish (lid essential) and pour in all of the stock, the sun dried tommies, chopped articokes, roughly slice the red peppers and throw them in too along with the crushed garlic

Add the chorizo (not the chicken) and a splash of wine, slice the orange (complete with peel) into eighths and stir it all up

Take the chicken and push it io the rice "porridge" (yes. the rice is "raw" at this point) then sprinkle half of the olives and a bit of white pepper on top, and place the lid on. Oven needs to be at around 140 for an hour but do check occasionally, and if things look dry - a splosh of wine !

Once it has been cooking for an hour, add the rest of the olives throw in the herbs and drop the temperature to about 120 for another 30 mins. checking regularly - the wine is your saviour if it begins to look dry!
The only srirring of this should take lace before it goes in the oven - once its in, apart from wine & herb top ups - leave it be.

Two or three thighs per person with an equivalent dollop of the rice etc. it cooked on top of is about right with a fresh salad an LOTS of thick crusty bread & butter.

Sung to Bohemian Rhapsody...

Mama, just killed a naan,
poppadom against his head,
Had lime pickles now he's dead,
Mama,dinner's just begun,
But now I'm gonna throw it all away,
Mama didn't mean to make you cry,
I think I'll pebble-dash the loo to-morrow,
Curry on curry on,
Cause nothing really madras.

Too late my dinner's gone,
Sends shivers down my spine,
Rectum aching all the time,
Goodbye onion baji, I've got to go,
Got to leave you all behind and use the loo,
Naan ooh ooh,
This dupiazza is so mild,
I sometimes wish we'd never come here at all.

****GUITAR SOLO****

I see a little chicken tikka on the side,
Rogan josh,rogan josh,pass the chutney made of mango,
Vindaloo does nicely,very very spicy,
Meat!!!!
Byriani (Byriani),
Byriani and a naan,
(A vindaloo loo loo loo)
I've eaten balti,somebody help me,
He's eaten balti get him to the lavatory,
Stand you well back,
Case the loo is quarantined.

Here it comes ,
There it goes,
technicolour yawn,
I chunder,
NO!!
It's coming up again,
(There he goes)
I chunder,it's coming back again,
(There he goes)
Coming back again,
(Up again)
Here it comes again,
(No no no no no no no)
ON my knees,i'm on my knees,
On his knees,oh there he goes.
This vindaloo,
Is about to wreck my guts,
Poor meee,poor meee POOR MEEEE!!!!!!!!

****GUITAR SOLO****

So you think you can chunder & then feel alright?
So you try to eat curry & drink beer all night?
Oh maybe,but you'll puke like a baby,
Just had to come out,
It just had to come right out in here.

****GUITAR SOLO****

(SLOW BIT)

Korma or jalfrezi,
Bhaji,naan or saag,
Nothing makes a difference,
Nothing makes a difference,

TO MEEEEEE.....

Cubist

Still wavin'
If we're onto the curry jokes I need to give you the recipe for Lamb Tarka.

It's very similar to the bone-in lamb I did above, but a little 'otter

Ravenbait

Someone's imaginary friend
Can't claim credit for this, but my sister adapted it from a well known television cook's book; the ingredients and cooking methods vary from the prescribed order in the book, but the result was spot on :tongue:

Let's call it "Poulet Basquaise- ish"

That sounds enormously scrumptious, but if I have chicken and rice at the same meal it makes me sick :wacko: .

Sam

Ravenbait

Someone's imaginary friend
Chicken and saffron one-pot casserole.

Ingredients

1 whole free-range chicken
2 large white onions
Half a dozen garlic cloves (or to taste -- we like garlic)
Generous pinch saffron added to a couple of tablespoons warm water
4 large carrots, cut into large chunks OR
1 pack chanteray carrots, topped and tailed
2 heads broccoli chopped into florets, stems sliced to about 5mm thickness.
3 bay leaves
4 or 5 fronds of tarragon (you can also use rosemary)
Half - one bottle dry white wine
Stock or water to cover.

Method

Joint the chicken. Cut breasts into two halves, remove thighs from legs, include wings and oysters.

Brown the chicken pieces in a large, heavy-based pan. I also brown the carcass and stick it in the freezer for making stock later. Set aside. Remove pan from heat.

Chop onions and crush garlic. Add to pan. Put pan back on low to medium heat and stir to soften the onions until transparent and they release their fluids, which will start deglazing the pan. Add wine and finish deglazing the pan.

Place chicken pieces back in pan. Add bay leaves, saffron and stock or water to cover the meat by about 2 - 3 cm. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Add carrots, stir in, cover and cook for a further 15 minutes. Place tarragon on top of the stew then put the chopped broccoli on top of that. Cover and again and cook until broccoli has been steamed tender, approximately 10 minutes.

Serve either by itself or with crusty bread or new potatoes.

This also reheats well, although I advise stripping the bones from the meat on the second day, and watch out for epiphyces.

Sam

Cubist

Still wavin'
Rabbit in three mustards

A young rabbit jointed (foreleg and breast, rear leg and the back/saddle halved, or two or three rabbit saddles from older bunnies.
large onion diced
2 cloves garlic (optional)
glass of cider or white wine
red peppers sliced or diced
mushrooms
salt and black pepper to taste
a mixture of mustards english, dijon, wholegrain, whatever's festering at the back of the cupboard)
a tub of creme fraiche (half fat if you ain't riding this weekend)

In a wok or big frying pan heat some oil and fry the diced onion, garlic and pepper until softened but without browning the garlic. Add the pork medallions and stir fry until they are opaque, a little browning at this stage won't hurt, but isn't necessary. Add the
.mustard. I generally use a generous heaped spoonful of English, and one of Dijon and wholegrain, and stir this into the mixture in the pan. Add the glass of cider and bring to the boil, stirring to make sure all the sticky mix in the pan is well incorporated. Turn down to simmer, add the sliced mushrooms, and cook for about 10 to 15 mins on low heat, stirring to keep it all from sticking to the pan. When the mushrooms are cooked, stir in the creme fraiche/sour cream, and serve on rice. Goes very well with green beans.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Rabbit burgers

1lb Boned rabbit meat, minced
2oz bacon or pork fat, minced
salt and black pepper
medium onion very finely diced
2 fat green chillies, deseeded and very finely chopped.

Mix all the ingredients together, don't skimp on the salt, divide the mix into four and press into patties. Grill/fry/griddle and serve however you like your burgers.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Rabbit Seekh Kebabs (makes 16)

2lb rabbit meat, minced finely
4 oz pork fat, minced
large onion finely diced/chopped
2-5 green chillies deseeded and chopped (to taste)
packet of Pakeeza or Lazeez seekh kebab mix from your local Asian grocer

Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl and put in the fridge for half an hour or so. Divide the mix into 16 balls, and thread a skewer through them. Use wet hands to form the typical kebab shape round the skewer. Cook in a moderate oven for twenty minutes. Don't over brown them.

Alternatively, try par-cooking them for ten minutes and then finishing them off on a barbecue.

Serve with fresh Naan , Onion and iceberg salad and my mint yoghurt sauce as described above.

Rabbit Seekh Kebabs (makes 16)

2lb rabbit meat, minced finely
4 oz pork fat, minced
large onion finely diced/chopped
2-5 green chillies deseeded and chopped (to taste)
packet of Pakeeza or Lazeez seekh kebab mix from your local Asian grocer

Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl and put in the fridge for half an hour or so. Divide the mix into 16 balls, and thread a skewer through them. Use wet hands to form the typical kebab shape round the skewer. Cook in a moderate oven for twenty minutes. Don't over brown them.

Alternatively, try par-cooking them for ten minutes and then finishing them off on a barbecue.

Serve with fresh Naan , Onion and iceberg salad and my mint yoghurt sauce as described above.

Definitely going to try this one Cubist.

:tongue:

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Winter Mushrooms

Ingredients:

2 cloves of garlic (finely chopped)

1 shallot (finely chopped)

1 fairly hot chilli (finely chopped)

Half a red pepper (normally chopped)

Half a dozen mushrooms (normally chopped)

3 Tbsp soya sauce

3 Tbsp satay sauce

Small tin of coconut milk (50 or 100 ml? Can’t remember. Small anyway)

Around 60g of fresh ginger (rubbed down on one of those ceramic things made for just that purpose)

Chop the chilli, garlic and shallot fairly fine. Chop the red pepper into slightly bigger chunks. Fry together for about 2 mins in (very) hot olive oil. Bung in the mushrooms and fry for a further 2 mins, stirring quite a lot. Turn the heat down to about half and bung in the soya sauce. Give it a few seconds to calm down and then bung in the satay sauce and coconut milk. After about half a minute bung in the ginger. Then let the whole thing simmer for about 3 mins. Serve it up on tagliatelle. It also makes a cracking sauce for pork steaks or you could add chopped, smoke ham to it.

Mozzy

Mid morning smoothie with a boost.

Dozen dark cherries stones removed
One Kiwi fruit peeled and chopped
Quarter of an orange (remove flesh and squeeze in juice)
One bannana (peeled)
whistling.gif

One large plum stone out.
One pear, top and tailed.
One gigantic desert spoonful of proper honey (not Blended or UHT crap)
250g of fat free natural yoghurt
Half litre of water
Two ice cubes

Wind up in a blender and get down thee neck. Yum yum.

Mozzy

Fried Strawberries in orange liqueur

Strawberries
Ghee
Sugar
Concentrated unsweetened OJ
Cointreau (or any orange liqueur)
Black Pepper
Ice Cream

Add enough Ghee to frying pan to fry, stir in a couple of teaspoons of sugar and let it get pretty hot. Add the strawberries and fry for a couple of mins, and then add a splash (1/3 of a gill?) OJ then when back up to bubbling add a splash of Cointreau, and Flambé
Immediately serve over ice-cream with a sprinkling of black pepper

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Rosemary baked potatoes: Quick, simple and VERY tasty.

Microwave the potatoes, then heat up oven to finish them off. Toss them in a bowl with a good glug of olive oil, a grind or so of sea salt and black pepper, and add a few tablespoons of rosemary leaves. Get 'em nicely coated in the leaves/oil etc, then put them in the oven to finish off and brown.

Yum

Speicher

Vice Admiral
I have a question about black treacle. I would like to try this recipe for Apple Fruit cake, as an alternative to traditional Christmas cake.

It says 1 tbsp black treacle. Is there an alternative to black treacle? I have got Maple Syrup and Golden Syrup, but not black treacle. If I use syrup instead of treacle, does it just affect the consistency?

Top Bottom