CC recipe thread.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
I have a question about black treacle. I would like to try this recipe for Apple Fruit cake, as an alternative to traditional Christmas cake.

It says 1 tbsp black treacle. Is there an alternative to black treacle? I have got Maple Syrup and Golden Syrup, but not black treacle. If I use syrup instead of treacle, does it just affect the consistency?

Black treacle is a lot less sweet, and (obviously) darker than golden syrup :thumbsup:... but given that your recipe only needs 1 spoon ful, both your options should be fine... as long as post some of the result on here :hungry: !

Edit: Having just read the recipe - with all the dark sugar that's going into the cake, you could put in a spoon of any other ingredient you fancy ... lots of variations possible with this one, e.g., replacing the sultanas & raisins with other dried fruit, whatever takes your fancy!
T

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Thank you Dayvo and Telemark for your advice. I have got the dark brown sugar, so that will give it the colour. I might try Maple syrup. It is runnier that golden syrup, but not so sweet. On the BBC site, someone has said they added cinnamon or another spice. I try not to have a vast selection of ingredients, as they might deteriorate before they can be used.

It says the cake will keep for a week. I am not sure that it will. I will be using two thirds of their quantities, and therefore two eggs. I will also be using a loaf tin, instead of a large round tin.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Thank you Dayvo and Telemark for your advice. I have got the dark brown sugar, so that will give it the colour. I might try Maple syrup. It is runnier that golden syrup, but not so sweet. On the BBC site, someone has said they added cinnamon or another spice. I try not to have a vast selection of ingredients, as they might deteriorate before they can be used.

It says the cake will keep for a week. I am not sure that it will. I will be using two thirds of their quantities, and therefore two eggs. I will also be using a loaf tin, instead of a large round tin.
The thing about black treacle is the powerful bitter tones over the sweetness (think liquorice). With black treacle I doubt you would need to add cinnamon for example, as the two would be a strange marriage. Try it with the maple syrup, but if you get a chance do get hold of some black treacle. If all else fails you could make some proper treacle toffee to use it up..... :addict:

Lard Armstrong

Veteran
Quick kedgeree

Ingredients:

2 hard boiled eggs cut into chunks

2-3 tblsp of curry sauce from previous night's curry (sweet sauces don't work too well here!)

enough boiled rice for two people - usually left over from previous night's curry

pack of smoked mackerel

small knob of butter.

Method:

Melt the butter in a suitable saucepan.

Throw in the eggs, rice and fish.

Stir until piping hot.

Add sauce and stir for further minute.

Serve.

Easy peasy or what?

Ahh, memories of school, we used to have this for breakfast, but you rarely see it these days. Wonderful food, protein and carbs, will keep you going all day.

Lard Armstrong

Veteran
Liver & Onions

Get 4 tbsp of plain flour, season well in a small bowl with freshly ground salt and black pepper. Cut liver into small dice, and coat in the seasoned flour. Heat up a knob of butter and fry the liver till crispy brown. Put aside and keep warm. Heat up a good glass of red wine in the remnants of the fried liver residue, then add 2 crumbled oxo cubes in 500ml boiled water. Bring to the boil then transfer to a casserole dish. Chop 3 or 4 large carrots and add the the casserole, then fry till brown 1 large well chopped onion. Add the onion and liver to the casserole and put in oven preheated at 180 deg c for 45 mins. Boil some potatoes in salted water, and fry some finely diced leek in butter till soft. Season leeks with ground salt & pepper. Mash potatoes (properly) with some milk, knob of butter and season with salt & pepper, then mix in the fried leeks. Serve on a hot plate, ladling the liver and onons over the mash.

Yum. Just had it. ;)

I had liver tonight too !

Do you prefer Lamb, Pig or Beef ? I like lamb, the others can be hard work unless they are cooked properly. Any thoughts ?

Self Pity meatballs

Serves two.

Ingredients:

1/2lb Minced Beef.

4oz Tomato Juice

4oz Tomato Ketchup

1 Table spoon Redcurrant Jelly

1 Dessert spoon Lemon Juice

1/2 teaspoon English mustard

Method:

Roll the mince into Walnut size balls.

In a Saucepan/sautee pan: Add all the other ingredients except the Lemon juice to the pan. Heat gently until just simmering, carefully add the Meat balls, and cook slowly over a low heat for at least 40 minutes. Before serving add the Lemon juice to taste. There is no need to add either Salt or Pepper to this recipe ..... it is already in the Tomato Ketchup.

meatballs005.jpg

Gooner Mad Dog

Badger and Beer Stew ( Christmas Day special )

To cook one's badger you’ll need:
badgers-796684.png
1 badger ( fresh roadkill perhaps )
1 bottle of Spitfire ale
1 glass of pig’s blood
1 small glass of armagnac
1 ginger root
1 bottle of dry, sparkling white wine
2 eggs
1 pot of crème fraîche
salt and pepper
500g forest mushrooms OR chestnuts to accompany
100g butter
oil
Eviscerate and skin your badger, and soak it in a fast-flowing river for at least 48 hours. This will help you to de-grease it more easily.
Once the badger is de-greased, cut it into pieces and brown it in a frying pan with butter. When the pieces are golden and stiff, flambée with the armanac, season and add a grated soup-spoon of ginger, fresh if possible.
Pour over the wine, and simmer gently for at least two hours.
At the end of the cooking time, add beer, mix the chopped badger liver (cooked beforehand in a little oil), the glass of blood, two egg yolks, a coffee-spoon of ginger and the crème fraîche, and pour into the cooking dish. Serve immediately.

This dish goes well with wild mushrooms or chestnuts.

oliglynn

Über Member
it has to go with mushrooom mushroom!!
A ratio of 12 badgers to 2 mushrooms is optimal

Also, try serving with a nice side helping of snnnnaaaaakkkkeeeeeee

Top Bottom