Quick question for any Sheffielders on here re the River Don towpath....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MetalPig

I know that last year the towpath on the river don was re-surfaced/tarmaced between Rotherham and Tinsley, just wondered does anyone know if this work carries on all the way into Sheffield?

(I sometimes cycle or run up the river but I've only been as far as Tinsley viaduct up till now)

sheddy

Legendary Member
Can't help you but there will eventually be a googlemaps scheme to capture the UK canal network and put on streetview

Last edited:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
[QUyou have ddy, post: 3080853, member: 396"]Can't help you but there will eventually be a googlemaps scheme to capture the UK canal network and put on streetview[/QUOTE]
Do you have any idea when that might happen?

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Think it was only done upto Tinsley, by RMBC.
I know there’s some work going on on the Sheffield side of the viaduct on the cyclepaths (not towpath). The section north of ‘The Source’ seems to have been fenced off for months now.

OP
OP
MetalPig

MetalPig

Ah, thanks for that. I'm going to be taking the road bike into Sheff soon, just wondered if i could have taken the more, ahem, scenic route by the river that's all :smile:

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
I'd guess you probably could. Probably check out '5 weirs walk' on a sheffield website? Sheff seems a hell of a lot better than Rotherham as regards bikes (but that wouldn't take much!)

No, it's not resurfaced between Meadowhell and Sheffield, though it's perfectly rideable on a tourer/hybrid, I wouldn't bother on a road bike.

The bit of the TPT around M/H is closed but is open up to Sheffield

Can't help you but there will eventually be a googlemaps scheme to capture the UK canal network and put on streetview

Really? Do you know how I could get involved on that?

EDIT: Link on CRT site: http://canalrivertrust.org.uk/news-and-views/news/google-trekker-to-capture-our-canals-and-rivers

I dont think she'll be walking 100 miles comfortably in those shoes lol

4035.jpg

No, it's not resurfaced between Meadowhell and Sheffield, though it's perfectly rideable on a tourer/hybrid, I wouldn't bother on a road bike.

The bit of the TPT around M/H is closed but is open up to Sheffield

Still lol! Did that bit 5 months ago and found the diversions very confusing and really didnt sell my friend well on the TPT.....

Top Bottom