Quick release handle bar bag

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TomDW

I previously posted this in the wrong forum. Hope this is the right one. I'm looking for a quick release handle bar bag. I know Ortlieb do one but the mounting looks OTT and the bag heavy.
I've searched around but can't see anything fitting my needs. On my tour last year I used a bungy with a little rucksack on my rear rack but it wasn't ideal. Ideally it should have a strap to walk around with it.

Last edited:

abcd efg

Über Member
I have an Arkel bar bag. It is an older model but the only difference is that the newer model has a curved or rounded top instead of a flat top. In either case, there is a viyle map pocket that works a treat. See https://ghyllside.co.uk/handlebar-bags/7195-arkel-hbb.html. It my opinion, this (or the new model) is a first class bag. It is sturdily mounted to the bars by aluminium arms but can be removed in a second or two. The capacity is perfect for me and having a mesh pocket on each side of the bag and a zippered front pocket suits my purpose perfectly. But there are lots of opinions these days about bags and panniers so I can only suggest you do lots of homework before buying one.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I previously posted this in the wrong forum. Hope this is the right one. I'm looking for a quick release handle bar bag. I know Ortlieb do one but the mounting looks OTT and the bag heavy.

The Ortlieb one is fantastic and 100% waterproof but the fitting unit is a SHOCKER! My very handy husband entirely failed to be able to fit it at the start of our trip this summer so I had to carry it 1200 km and use the cheap Halfords one instead! I’d like an easier alternative!

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
The Ortlieb one is fantastic and 100% waterproof but the fitting unit is a SHOCKER! My very handy husband entirely failed to be able to fit it at the start of our trip this summer so I had to carry it 1200 km and use the cheap Halfords one instead! I’d like an easier alternative!

Weird, I managed to fix one and I'm useless.

The standard Rixen and Kaul one also works with my ortlieb bag and has a simpler wiring loop FWIW.

https://www.e-bikeshop.co.uk/products/rixen-kaul-standard-handlebar-adapter

Sallar55

Veteran
Did you follow the instructions, they have 2 types of cable fixings .One is a cable each side of the Stem and the other is 1 cable that sort of goes in a figure of 8 round the stem. Best one is the 2 cable version.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
The Ortlieb fitting system is indeed very good. But I think it’s best to fit it and leave it. It won’t take kindly to being removed and be mounted to different bikes.

Probably best get additional mounts for
that purpose.

Maybe @Cathryn partner already did this, but I found YouTube video by Ortlieb easier to understand than the enclosed instructions.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Most of the time I use a Rixen & Kaul "Baggy" mini, which can hold my tools, phone, wallet, spare tube and camera quite comfortably. Detaches with a click at cafe stops. Suits me just fine.

281.JPG
For longer rides needing a map, I simply swap it over to my larger Rixen & Kaul bag that has a flat top with a plastic map holder on top and has additional room for a packed lunch and some additional foldable clothing.
280.JPG

3.JPG
I have been known to print off a map and simply fit the Rixen & Kaul map holder instead. This does produce some interesting aerodynamic side effects when riding downhill or into headwinds though ... although I have never quite achieved lift-off.
57 Another 100km done.JPG
Three different bits of kit, one common mounting. I have also added a bar extender to the standard fixing. Although not in the picture, I have since mounted my bike computer and my bell on the bar extender, and have mounted a light beneath the bar bags on the fork mount crown.
279.JPG
The only limitation for me with my two bikes is that one of the bikes has crossing over cables at the front that means I can't use the bigger bag on that bike as they get in the way.

Last edited:
I previously posted this in the wrong forum. Hope this is the right one.
You posted in the folding bikes forum - if the bag is for a folding bike suggestions may be different.

I'm looking for a quick release handle bar bag
+1 on the Arkel.
I know Ortlieb do one but the mounting looks OTT and the bag heavy.
@Cathryn 's experience above isn't the only problem I've come across with Ortlieb bag mounts in touring situations. To be fair to Ortlieb, it's always the mount, not the bag.
That was the main reason I went with Arkel. On tour, away from home I just want things to work they way they're supposed to.

However, the Arkel bag is not light. It's damn strong and sturdy, though. The interior is fully waterproof but the "skin" is not - a rain cover is required to prevent that.

I make great use of the two (open) pockets on either side and like the smaller, front zipped one. My map holder rarely holds a map.

Arkel do offer repairs - but they are in Canada so that can be expensive. I'm in need of two zip replacements (can't be done locally) but they occurred under pretty extreme conditions. If it makes no sense to send a bag from Europe to Canada and back again, I'll happily plump for another.

Top Bottom