Quick release handle bar bag

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Altura also use the Rixen Kaul Klickfix mount - I've found it bombproof on my gravel bike and so easy to click off and carry using the strap at cafe stops etc.

I have this one
https://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/134908/products/altura-sonic-5-waterproof-bar-bag-black.aspx

other styles also available - the dryline has a flat top if you prefer, but I quite like the fact the sonic will "oversize" its-self given its roll down top
https://www.altura.co.uk/collections/luggage-bar-bags?page=1

without wanting to put the boot in on @Cathryn 's hubby, I found it pretty easy to fit the bracket (double wire version)

gom

Über Member
Doing a "stock check" the other day, I find I have 4 Ortlieb barbag mounts, using three different methods (so only two the same) - all by Ortlieb. I guess they have changed over time.
I recently wanted to mount my Ortlieb barbag to my Brompton, so now also use a KlickFix. This has the advantage that it can be rotated up, so it doesn't interfere with the fold.

My Ortlieb barbag takes a map case using poppers, which means I can use any map case I like - provided I can fix poppers to it. I find the Ortlieb walkers/hikers map case good for this. Over time they go quite yellow, so I have replaced a few over the decades.

An Ortlieb barbag I have looked at recently (for someone else) has a case that clips to the edges of the lid. This does not look good to me. Anyone using such?

Reactions: mjr

scragend

I have the Rixen and Kaul mount on most of my bikes and just one bar bag which I swap between them. You can buy the attachment plate separately which means you don't need to use a specific bar bag; mine was just a normal bar bag from Amazon (with straps) and I screwed the plate to the back of it. Works perfectly. The straps are still there should the bag ever need to be used on a bike without the mount.

dimrub

I have an Orlieb bag too, actually two of them: the old one with the buttons to which a map holder can be affixed, and with two small side pockets, useful for coins - and the new one, where they got rid of both of these useful features. However, as noted above, their system for attaching the bag to the handlebar is ridiculously complicated. Given that I have to remove and reinstall the handlebar at the beginning and end of each trip, it's a real issue. I heard of people who remove the whole stem rather than just the handlebar when packing the bike for the trip - just to avoid having to deal with the bag attachment.

And the worst of it is - it's built to only be installed once. Once you install it, the last step is to shorten the cable. And once the cable is shortened, frayed in the process, it no longer fits through the holes. I ended up drilling out the holes, so at least it works now, albeit requiring more effort than is reasonable. However, lately they released a new attachment system for these bags, that uses two cords instead of a cable, and that one is much-much easier to attach/detach. It's also slightly less secure, so there's a tradeoff.

But hey, you only deal with this once per trip, and then you have this amazing bag: spacious, water-proof, with a convenient strap and even a lock (never used it once).

Has anyone complained "grrr, this bar bag is too well-supported"?

Other gripper style bar bag supports have massive plastic clamps that still rotate under load. R&K are about as slim and small as mounts can be but are the strongest and most secure.

Sallar55

Veteran
Like this version of the handlebar support, you don't need to touch it when the bike needs taken apart when flying etc. Used the back plate of an old worn out ortlieb handlebar bag to be able to use the gravel accessory bag.

1000019437.jpg

froze

Über Member
I use the Topeak Handlebar Bag DX, it is the largest bag they make, it has a really nice quick-release system, just slide the bag on the plastic guides and it will click to lock it in place, then to just remove it you simply pull back a yellow thing and pull the bag off. It comes with a shoulder strap you can fasten on when needed.

The bracket is a bit large, but you want a large bracket if you're using a large bag, the bag holds 11 pounds of crap plus another 2 pounds for the bag, so that's 13 pounds, and some wimpy small bracket would not be able to hold the bag firmly on the bar.

One of the problems with this bag is that the water resistance is fairly low even with the rain cover on. I had to treat the bag and the rain cover with waterproofing spray, but because I don't trust sprays, I put a plastic trash bag inside the bag, then all the stuff I load into goes into the trash bag, roll the top of the trash bag closed and no more water can get into my stuff.

The only other problem is the bag is set high enough so that a headlight can't be used, so I had to get a Topeak BarXtender Handlebar Extender thing. Then that thing had an issue. The BarExtender mounted to the bar on the bracket, but Topeak didn't make that bar sturdy enough for a light, and it would bounce a lot, turns out I fixed it by putting 4 zipties on and having to pull the ties tight with pliers, once that was done no more bouncing. Difficult to explain without pics.

You may not even need the BarXtender but I thought it was worth mentioning just in case.

Top Bottom