Quick Release Question 2 (Removing Front Wheel)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Downward

Guru
How does the QR work ?
I need to take the front wheel of to get it in the Car.
I have released it but it's still on tight - Do I unscrew each "Nut" on both sides equally until it comes loose ?

Amanda P

Legendary Member
It sounds like your bike has "lawyer's lips" - little lips around the front fork dropout that hold the wheel (loosely) in place even after you've undone the QR. If so, you need to unscrew the QR a little more to get it to release.

It doesn't matter which side you unscrew - the two sides are connected, so you can just hold one side and twiddle the other.

Another possibility is that the wheel is free to drop out at the hub, but is prevented from doing so by the tyre being caught against the brake blocks. If this is the case, you may be able to undo a quick-release on the brakes or disconnect the cable. Failing either of those, you might have to let the tyre down.

Is this a new bike? What sort of bike is it? Is it the normal kind of wheel QR with a knurled nut on one side of the hub and a lever on the other? I'm asking because if the above advice doesn't help, we need more information from you to find out what will help.

OP
OP
Downward

Downward

Guru
Undoing the QR often won't widen it enough to allow the wheel to drop out. You then need to unscrew it further.

And remember, when you put the wheel back in, to make sure it sits in the same place in the forks (I do this with the front by leaning on the handlebars a bit and pushing the axle right into the dropouts) and then doing the QR up tight enough that it leaves a mark in the palm of your hand.

Thanks
Edit here is the actual Hub for 2008 models
http://www.clixqr.com/ProductInformation.htm

I'll have to try and see where the lever was as I had a mess with it - Oops !

Amanda P

Legendary Member
OK, your bike has disc brakes, so forget everything I said about disconnecting brakes. Must be something funny about your particular QR/fork arrangement. Like Mr P says, maybe it just needs unscrewing a little more. Does the fork have lawyer's lips? (You may not really be able to tell until you have the wheel out...)

OP
OP
Downward

Downward

Guru
Uncle Phil said:
OK, your bike has disc brakes, so forget everything I said about disconnecting brakes. Must be something funny about your particular QR/fork arrangement. Like Mr P says, maybe it just needs unscrewing a little more. Does the fork have lawyer's lips? (You may not really be able to tell until you have the wheel out...)

Sorted now, Thanks for your help - It's a new QR System. Maybe it would have been a good idea to ask the shop for the Instructions - Do Bikes still come with instructions ?!!

peanut

lawyers lips ! thats a new one on me :wacko:

My forks don't have this lip but still stick at times, as I'm a bit lazy I just release the quick release lever and give a hearty thump to the top of the tyre to eject the wheel. This probably won't work too well if you have 38c tyres lol:biggrin:

yenrod

...so instead of a QR its SR :biggrin:

Sounds like a great QR system ! :wacko:

Top Bottom