Quick Release Too Loose?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sam Kennedy

I took both my wheels off (had to pick glass out of tyres :biggrin: ) and after putting my back wheel back on, the brakes were pushed against the side of the rim.

I pushed the brake blocks with my hand, and the wheel bent/flexed in the direction I pushed it, is this normal or do I have to tighten the quick release a bit more?

potsy

Rambler
I'd check the wheel is correctly seated 1st,loosen off the QR and push down to check.

weevil

Did the wheel flex, or move? In other words, did it move back to its original position when you stopped pushing, or did it remain displaced?

Arch

Married to Night Train
I've been told that a quick release is tight enough when it leaves an impression (temporary of course, but visible) in your hand when you push it shut.

AlanW

Guru
Sam Kennedy said:
I took both my wheels off (had to pick glass out of tyres :biggrin: ) and after putting my back wheel back on, the brakes were pushed against the side of the rim.

I pushed the brake blocks with my hand, and the wheel bent/flexed in the direction I pushed it, is this normal or do I have to tighten the quick release a bit more?

All depends on how hard you pushed the blocks really?

I suspect what has happened is that the calipers have moved off centre.

But firstly make sure that the wheel is fitted centrally in the frame. Look at the gap between the tyre and the frame by the rear triangle/seat tube/bottom bracket.

Once your are happy that the wheel is central, realign the calipers. Its a bit hit and miss the first few times you do it, but you'll soon get it right.

Then operate the brakes, the blocks should strike the rim evenly. If one side hits the rim first, then just tweak the caliper across a fraction.

On the higher end spec calipers there is a tiny grub screw that you can adjust to align the blocks, but IMHO just tweaking the whole lot with your hand is quicker!

As for if the Q/R is to loose, it should be adjusted so that when you move the arm over centre to tighten it, there should be small amount of resistance.

If all the above is ok, then grab the tyre and try and move the wheel from side to side, it could be that there may be some play in the cones?

GrasB

Veteran
Yeah, you need to pay attention to what is actually moving. I have my wheels built to the spec of "as compliant as possible", this means the deflection on rim braking is huge, but it's always the rim that moves not the hub!

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Get the QR pressed on tightly and then grasp the wheel firmly and try moving it from side to side. If you feel movement then the cones need adjusting.

Ideally I like to get the cones set up so as if the QR is applied loosely then there is a tiny bit of play - then when the QR is tightened properly this should disappear.

AlanW

Guru
accountantpete said:
Ideally I like to get the cones set up so as if the QR is applied loosely then there is a tiny bit of play - then when the QR is tightened properly this should disappear.

Good point, unless you have pre loaded bearings instead of cones.

Top Bottom