Quick Release?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

anothersam

SMIDSMe
I use QR on a titanium SS without a problem, and I go up a lot of hills, providing a perfect opportunity for slippage. (Ti is often mentioned as being problematical because it's harder to clamp onto - or should I say, doesn't provide the same bite as steel.) Also note that not all QRs are made equal.

Old Plodder

Living at the top of a steep 2 mile climb
Older geared bikes with semi horizontal dropouts used Q/R without problems, one of my old club members managed OK riding 69 fixed using Q/R.
Personally, I wouldn't risk it on fixed, but S/Spd should be perfectly OK, the only proviso, don't use nylon Q/R inserts.

I

Ti is often mentioned as being problematical because it's harder to clamp onto - or should I say, doesn't provide the same bite as steel.

Often mentioned and always wrong. Ti is softer than steel and weaker than steel in every other way. As a rule of thumb, Ti, weighs about half what an equivalent piece of steel would weigh and is about half as strong (tensile, compressive and shear). Alu in turn is half Ti's weight and half its strength.

anothersam

SMIDSMe
Listed as harder than steel but softer than hardened steel on the Mohs scale, but I'm hardly an metallurgist, just someone who's glad to have been able to use QR on that particular bike. Whatever its properties, fortunately it hit the sweet spot between carbonado and talc.

ayceejay

Guru
Looking for a compromise? There is nothing wrong in using a QR on the front wheel.
Since most of the technology and knowledge regarding riding a fixed wheel comes from the track I would say the "extra power" is more relevant there.
Yellow saddle knows more about this kind of thing than I do but I think to arrive at the same level of tension with a QR as that required to get a nut up tight enough would make the lever extremely difficult to engage/disengage.
If you do decide to go for it head the advice above and get QR 's that put steel to steel.

tyred

Legendary Member
I haven't done it personally but should work with a quality cam type skewer and I know Sheldon Brown did it.

The biggest issue would be that it would make it more difficult to set chain tension (imo).

just jim

Other than you still have to carry a spanner for the rear, and have to take extra care locking the front when you leave the bike. Worst of both worlds.

I have track nuts rear, QR front. Fine with me. More of a problem in urban areas perhaps, though isn't that the case with most bicycle security?

Reactions: 4F

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
My 5p: I ride a geared bike with horizontal dropouts and QR. I have occasionally pulled the wheel out of line. I make sure I do the QR up double tight. But not excessively - I broke a QR being too enthusiastic. Personally I would have a mild preference for wheelnuts to avoid these issues, but the wheel has a QR on it, so that's how it is. As it has a derailleur I don't need to worry about chain tension.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
My 5p: I ride a geared bike with horizontal dropouts and QR. I have occasionally pulled the wheel out of line. I make sure I do the QR up double tight. But not excessively - I broke a QR being too enthusiastic. Personally I would have a mild preference for wheelnuts to avoid these issues, but the wheel has a QR on it, so that's how it is. As it has a derailleur I don't need to worry about chain tension.
Swap the QR skewer for one with an allen key, much better grip and more secure from thieving scrotes.
EDIT linky http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...T0NnUpggmjqLwjU172vnRLw&bvm=bv.93990622,d.bGg

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
Nobody has mentioned the 'elephant in the room' (I've always wanted to use that phrase)
On any other bike with a freewheel if you pull the wheel out of line and throw the chain, it's no big deal. Do that on a fixed and you''ll die in a ball of flame (well, blood and gravel rash).
Surely using nuts rather than a QR just makes sure that your chain tension stays put and so you don't risk throwing the chain and yourself over the bars. You might not pull the wheel out of line, but I bet you stop at T junctions - there's no guarantee that there will be a car/lorry coming, but I bet you still stop and look to make sure

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I've used QR on an SS with no problems, as the wheel in question had a QR when it had a cassette on.
My fixed, OTOH, came with nuts and I've kept them. I'm sure a decent (ie Shimano, not a fancy lightweight aftermarket one) would cope with fixed, but the all-going-horribly-wrong quotient is so high I'd not chance it.

anothersam

SMIDSMe
Nobody has mentioned the 'elephant in the room' (I've always wanted to use that phrase)

elephant2.jpg

On any other bike with a freewheel if you pull the wheel out of line and throw the chain, it's no big deal. Do that on a fixed and you''ll die in a ball of flame (well, blood and gravel rash).
This is actually one of the reasons I roll freewheel; although reasonably handy with a spanner, I like to allow for a little sloppiness in my life. To those about to die fixed: we freewheelers salute you.

Top Bottom