Quick Release?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biking_fox

Guru
LBS strongly advised against fitting QR to my SS. The extra power in SS would pull the wheel out of position, and only bolts should be used. This is with horizontal drop-outs.

Sounds a little bit suspect to me, but possibly believable. Anybody tried it? What happened?

Yup, it is true. A chain tug will prevent that but it is hardly "quick release." Without the right measures, the wheels pulls skew inside the frame and the tyre hits the chainstay, rubbing off your lovely paint.

Tim Hall

Yup, it is true. A chain tug will prevent that but it is hardly "quick release." Without the right measures, the wheels pulls skew inside the frame and the tyre hits the chainstay, rubbing off your lovely paint.
But isn't the thing providing the pulling force the same, whether the bike has gears or not?

Tim Hall

Yes, but he said his bike has horizontal drop-outs. Bikes with gears nowadays have vertical or near vertical dropouts.
My geared bike has horizontal dropouts. The wheel is held in place by a Shimano QR. My fixed wheel bike has horizontal drop outs. The wheel is held in place by track nuts. The change in chain tension caused by a small amount of forward movement of the wheel in the dropouts is quite alarming, which is the main reason for using nuts.

D

Deleted member 1258

Even with track nuts on I can still pull the wheel over on my fixed. I wouldn't use QR on a fixed and I'm not sure about using QR on a single speed.

Reactions: 4F
My geared bike has horizontal dropouts. The wheel is held in place by a Shimano QR. My fixed wheel bike has horizontal drop outs. The wheel is held in place by track nuts. The change in chain tension caused by a small amount of forward movement of the wheel in the dropouts is quite alarming, which is the main reason for using nuts.
I'm not sure I'm getting your point. What am I missing?

Tim Hall

I'm not sure I'm getting your point. What am I missing?
Sorry, my last reply was done at work and the boss came in...

Anyhoo, I was trying to counter your argument that seemed to say a quick release wheel on a geared bike won't slip because the dropouts are vertical. Contrary evidence provided by my geared bike having horizontal dropouts and a non-slipping wheel. My fixed wheel bike also has horizontal dropouts but I secure the wheel with nuts, more to prevent the problems associated with a slack chain caused by small movements of the wheel. The rear mech on the geared bike takes up any slack caused by that rear wheel edging forward.

To reword my original question: Why does a single speed bike need a chain tug or similar when a geared bike doesn't? As @Citius asks above "what 'extra power'?

Sorry, my last reply was done at work and the boss came in...

Anyhoo, I was trying to counter your argument that seemed to say a quick release wheel on a geared bike won't slip because the dropouts are vertical. Contrary evidence provided by my geared bike having horizontal dropouts and a non-slipping wheel. My fixed wheel bike also has horizontal dropouts but I secure the wheel with nuts, more to prevent the problems associated with a slack chain caused by small movements of the wheel. The rear mech on the geared bike takes up any slack caused by that rear wheel edging forward.

To reword my original question: Why does a single speed bike need a chain tug or similar when a geared bike doesn't? As @Citius asks above "what 'extra power'?
I don't see any contrary evidence at all. The phenomena is not limited to geared bikes but geared bikes typically have vertical drop-outs for ease of installation.

We know our wheels don't slip on bikes with vertical drop-outs because the slightest movement in the wheel will cause tyre rub at the chainstay and we see no evidence of that. The fact that the spring-loaded idler takes up chain slack is neither here nor there, when we can witness movement easily.

Watch out for the boss and tighten those nuts. Toit toit.

Top Bottom