Quick sizing question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
N

NaapjusuN

Here are some size measurments of me, they are not 100% as I did them myself :tongue:

Height: 180cm
From sternal notch to ground: 145cm
Inseam lenght: 85.5cm
Arm lenghts: 62cm

I had a fit done in a lbs but subsequently I was advised by another (not so lbs, actually 50miles away) to check out this site www.wrenchscience.com it appears to be in agreement with my initial bike fit.

OP
OP
N

NaapjusuN

Yeah, I used that site. It advised me to get:

Center-to-center: 56cm
Center-to-top: 57cm

So, assuming that the bike I am going to get would have a Center-to-top size of 55cm, so 2 cm difference, would it actually be that bad? And, if it is mesured center-to-center, the difference is only just 1cm :biggrin:

And, if I would get the 59cm frame, the difference could be 1cm, 2cm or 3cm too large.

So, the question is, should I go for a bike that is going to be 1 or 2 cm too small or 1, 2 or cm too large? Or, should I not go for either of them and look for a bike that is the right size for me?

jimboalee

If a 57cm isn't available and its saving £200, get the 55cm size.

You can lift the seat and use a 10mm longer stem.

You CAN'T lower the standover height.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
I love these kind of threads.

NaapjusuN, if you buy the 55 and it is wrong, that means you have wasted £299, unless you can return it without fuss, although you'll probably lose the postage to return it.

So the ONLY way to know for sure is to find somewhere selling a raleigh in your size and try one.
You can check yourself on countless sizing charts, ask numerous questions on many fora, but the ONLY way to get a correct answer is to try one for size.

Sorry to be direct, but its the only way

NaapjusuN said:
So, the question is, should I go for a bike that is going to be 1 or 2 cm too small or 1, 2 or cm too large? Or, should I not go for either of them and look for a bike that is the right size for me?
Whilst a bike which is too small is not perfect IMO you can always make some adjustment to make it a better fit whereas a bike that is too big cannot always be adjusted leading to calf strain etc.
Like the $10million man says sometimes you just have to suck it and see.

OP
OP
N

NaapjusuN

I will just go to a cycling shop and try to find out as much as I can from them ^,^ hope they don't mind that I won't actually buy it from them :biggrin:

OP
OP
N

NaapjusuN

Anyway, thanks a lot for the info guys! A lot more than I got from bikerdar. :biggrin:

jimboalee

HLaB said:
Whilst a bike which is too small is not perfect IMO you can always make some adjustment to make it a better fit whereas a bike that is too big cannot always be adjusted leading to calf strain etc.
Like the $10million man says sometimes you just have to suck it and see.

$6,000,000

That's inflation for you.

Let me remind you of that famous intro...

"Steve Austin, a man barely alive".

jimboalee

jimboalee said:
$6,000,000

That's inflation for you.

Let me remind you of that famous intro...

"Steve Austin, a man barely alive".

The prototypes of Col. Austin's legs were made of cheap high ferous metal.
He walked past a magnet factory and kicked himself unconsious.

That's Iron Knee for you, Steve.

jimboalee

jimboalee said:
The prototypes of Col. Austin's legs were made of cheap high ferous metal.
He walked past a magnet factory and kicked himself unconsious.

That's Iron Knee for you, Steve.

The result of the bionics was that he was "Quicker, stronger, faster".
They made him a Golden Labrador puppy that was "Softer, stronger, longer"

Top Bottom