Quickest way to recover from a broken hip

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ExBrit

Über Member
I fractured my hip about 10 days ago. It's a very minor fracture but I still can't walk without crutches. I've been doing light workouts on my trainer which doesn't hurt much, but I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on how to get back on the bike again quickly. I've been reading four to six weeks and I'd like to make it as close to four as possible.

Thanks

PS. This is the closest to a cycling medical advice forum as I could find. I'm feeling pretty bloody disabled right now.

D

Deleted member 1258

I fractured my hip about 10 days ago. It's a very minor fracture but I still can't walk without crutches. I've been doing light workouts on my trainer which doesn't hurt much, but I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on how to get back on the bike again quickly. I've been reading four to six weeks and I'd like to make it as close to four as possible.

Thanks

PS. This is the closest to a cycling medical advice forum as I could find. I'm feeling pretty bloody disabled right now.

Don't rush you're recovery, take you're time, listen to the doctors and make sure you're fully healed before you're back on the bike.

alicat

Legendary Member
We aren't in a position to give you medical advice. I understand your impatience to get back on the bike but if you rush it you risk creating more problems further down the line. Take your doctor's advice and then only get back on the bike when it feels right for your body.

simongt

Guru
When I broke my right femur just below the hip joint, I pushed myself with the exercises given by my physio and after about seven or eight weeks, i was crazing him to let me get cycling again. He reluctantly agreed, being happy with my progress and that's the important point; listen to your physio, saying 'go gently' :whistle:. However, I had the big advantage of a owning Brompton, so the 'toptube' being much lower than a regular bike thus was advantageous to my recovery. :okay:

Sharky

Guru
I fractured my pelvis from a fall on black ice on Jan 2nd about 4 years ago. However it wasn't diagnosed from the initial x-rays. I strugled on crutches and hobling around for about 2 months. Then for associated problems, had to go back for a CT Scan. It was only then that I was told I had fractured my pelvis!

I started on the static turbo as soon as I could with gentle exercise and by April was OK to ride our club's 10 series. I did manage to ride, but it wasn't comfortable. I had to experiment with saddle positions, with a fast forward seat post. Time wise, I lost about 2 mins on my 10 times.

Pain and discomfort stayed with me for a long time, over two years. Sometimes waking up and I couldn't hardly put any weight on the hip. I self referred my self to the local hospital physio dept and they gave me some exercises to follow. These seem to help and now mostly pain free.

I probably did too much too soon, but if you "listen" to your body, you should get back to cycling within 3 to 4 months, but you need to decide for yourself, how intense or how long to cycling should be.

Top Bottom