Quiet and easily stored trainer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kevoffthetee

On the road to nowhere
Morning folks,

I'm wondering if anyone can help me find a very quiet turbo that I can put the Steele on. I live in a 2up2down mid-terrace with wooden floors and don't want to upset the neighbours. I have a MacBook that I can display on a 42" TV so if I get into it I may end up zwifting but the main aim is to stick an hour in a couple of times a week.

Just started looking so unsure of budget, but I'd happily go 2nd hand to get better gear

Cheers, Kev

Citius

Assuming you will be using either a mag or fluid turbo, then 99% of the noise generated will be down to your choice of tyre, rather than the turbo itself. Halfords were knocking out some reasonably good turbos pretty cheaply recently...

If you can stretch to it, I'd suggest a direct drive (back wheel off) like something from the Elite Turbo Muin range - they start at under £300 and are Zwift-compatible. They're much quieter than roller-trainers, don't knacker your back tyre and the resistance is very smooth and road-like, even on the non-smart ones.

Citius

Any suggestions on a quiet tyre? One of the lads has a cyclops fluid trainer he is loaning me to see what it's like.

Pretty much any slick tyre should prove quiet. Noise tends to come from any tread or surface pattern on the tyre, so the smoother, the better.

Top Bottom