Quiet helmets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TempleDancer

Are some lids noisier than others? I currently ride with a very old Giro Hex (it's an MTB lid so probably the worst case scenario) and the wind noise at anything over 20kph is pretty bad.

Perhaps it is the shape of my head or flapping ears that are the problem.

But, if there is a difference in helmet designs that means some are quieter than others, I'd love to know in advance of its replacement!

I would think it's very personal - shape of your ears and arrangement of straps etc. I've a few helmets and apart from the TT one that covers my ears - I've not noticed one noisier than another ?

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I think you can buy fluffy type covers to go over helmet straps that are supposed to help. Not sure if they would look a bit weird though. Depends how much it bothers you I suppose.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I was suffering really badly from the turbulent airflow over my ears on some of our very fast local descents. There is one that I can hit nearly 90 kph (55 mph) on if the wind conditions are right (wrong!?).

It was not only painful, it was worrying me that I was damaging my hearing. I already have a 40-50% hearing loss so I don't want to speed up any further loss! I soon found THIS worrying article... :eek:

After that I experimented, and found that I could reduce the turbulent flow a lot by putting some twists in the helmet straps. It doesn't look good, but it stiffens the straps and stops them flapping about wildly in the wind. It reduces the noise significantly and it only takes a few minutes to try, so give it a go and see what you think?

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I was suffering really badly from the turbulent airflow over my ears on some of our very fast local descents. There is one that I can hit nearly 90 kph (55 mph) on if the wind conditions are right (wrong!?).

It was not only painful, it was worrying me that I was damaging my hearing. I already have a 40-50% hearing loss so I don't want to speed up any further loss! I soon found THIS worrying article... :eek:

After that I experimented, and found that I could reduce the turbulent flow a lot by putting some twists in the helmet straps. It doesn't look good, but it stiffens the straps and stops them flapping about wildly in the wind. It reduces the noise significantly and it only takes a few minutes to try, so give it a go and see what you think?
Ha! We used to do this with the straps holding our surfboards to the roofrack, it worked a treat, stopping them humming as we sped to the beach....

OP
OP
TempleDancer

TempleDancer

Interesing idea, I shall give that a shot. The article you linked doesn't surprise me at all. I ride a motorcycle as well and without ear plugs the noise is unbearable after a while. I might give ear plugs a try whilst cycling and see how much peripheral hearing I retain for awareness of other traffic.

During winter I often wear a thin skull cap and can pull it down to cover my ears, cuts the wind noise by a huge margin. As comments above have suggested, that is probably smoothing the airflow over my ears as well as putting up a thin barrier to external noise.

Top Bottom