Quill stems for racing bikes - elusive!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gary P

Über Member
I just bought a Centini branded (bike shop in Plymouth) racer from my local free ads. It dates from the mid 90s and is Shimano RSX equipped and has a lovely steel Columbus Aelle frame.

It's in great condition and barely used but I'm having trouble trying to get hold of a decent quill stem. The one that's on there is a 3TTT but it's a 110 reach 22.2 and I need a higher, closer one like a 90mm or less as the bike was originally specced for a bloke slightly taller than me. The frame size is good for me at 22" and was actually too small for him which is why he'd fitted the longer reach stem.

I've tried fleaBay with no luck and my local bike shops just want to sell me an adjustable clunky item for a hybrid or an A-Headset converter which is out of keeping with the bike and would mean changing the bars too.

Has anyone any ideas where I could source one or even perhaps got one they'd be willing to part with?

Thanks

Gary

MajorMantra

SJS Cycles have a range of quill stems. I'm surprised you couldn't find a suitable one on ebay though - there are usually tons. 22.2 is the size for a standard 1" steerer and is by far the most common size you'll find. There are literally thousands of these stems floating around.

Fiona N

Veteran
I've got a early 90's Chas. Roberts frame in the garage with a threaded headset and lovely Cinelli quill stem (90mm, as far as I remember). As the frame is no longer useable (cracked down tube) I've been meaning to remove the components (nice pair of 105 short drop brakes and Campag aero seat post too). I'll check the stem and bar diameters and see whether they'll do for you, if you're interested.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
+1 for St John Cycles - very good for that kind of thing.

MajorMantra

Cinelli stuff is usually 26.4mm clamp (i.e. Cinelli only) so it likely won't work with his current bars without a shim, which is more trouble than it's worth.

Top Bottom