Quitting the Pro ranks .................

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milzy

Guru
Wow. It makes me realise how boring all the training would become and it would be awful to be away from home and family.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
An honest perspective - it's something we're seeing with my youngest at the younger end of the race spectrum where he and we are trying to keep a balance.

OP
OP
Proto

Proto

Legendary Member
Wow. It makes me realise how boring all the training would become and it would be awful to be away from home and family.

She was never a great lover of training but did what had to be done. What she did love was the racing, the crowds, cameraderie, the team, the highs and lows, the talking bollocks in the van halfway across Belgium on the way back from the Czech Republic. Especially loved the racing (she's very competitive), the atmosphere, the buzz. No regrets, she wouldn't change a thing.

She's planning on racing on the domestic scene next year, low key, just for fun (as it always should be, I guess), and she's expressed keen interest in adventure type riding, TransContinental, type thing. Last year she rode from Vancouver to Mexico with her big sister, and has a taste for more.

She said to me something along the lines of: "It's a big world, and so little time"!

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Former colleague of mine raced at elite level but gave it up for similar reasons. He went back to enjoying his cycling instead - and last year rode from home to Hong Kong.

As he said, the thing about being a pro cyclist is that you have to really want to do it. And if you don’t, you’ll be much happier out of it, even if you miss the good bits.

Good luck to her.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
The TCR application process will start in a couple of months. I think all the women who applied this year, got a place as we are trying to encourage more women to join in.

If she is looking to get into Adventure cycling, she needs to contact Emily Chappel who set up the Adventure Syndicate. It's the right set of women to get to know.

http://theadventuresyndicate.com/

What a beautiful apartment that was in the film.

OP
OP
Proto

Proto

Legendary Member
If she is looking to get into Adventure cycling, she needs to contact Emily Chappel who set up the Adventure Syndicate. It's the right set of women to get to know.

http://theadventuresyndicate.com/

What a beautiful apartment that was in the film.

Yes, a lovely apartment in a lovely terrace in Bristol. Sadly only rented.

Pretty sure she knows the endurance crowd including some of the Adventure Syndicate women. She's also a big mate of Gaby L who rode the TCR (with her now husband - 1st pair?, they came 18th overall) in 2014.

Last edited:

delb0y

Legendary Member
Thanks for sharing. Lovely film and interesting to get the racer's perspective.

Top Bottom