R.I.P. O.J. Simpson

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
BTW there was an element of his trial being of the times it was in. Back then there was an even greater issue with the police force in LA. Police brutality against the black community was widely the norm. There were people who actually saw it as black vs white police and legal system. Rightly or wrongly it's likely to be hard for us (probably mostly white middle aged men or older) to fully appreciate this. I do think it was wrong POV but I think it's never straightforward, black or white to use that phrase inappropriately.

Yes. I normally avoid TV like the series mentioned above, but I thought it really captured the period convincingly, and DID focus on the race situation of the time. (I'm very sorry for some viewers that there wasn't enough focus on OJ's height, which I was stupid to overlook at the time.)

steverob

Guru
Don't the forget he was in one of the best comedy films of the seventies and maybe all time.

View attachment 727290
David Zucker, one of the writers and producers of the Naked Gun movies (as well as Airplane, etc.) said this about OJ:

"He was wonderfully stiff in both Capricorn One and The Towering Inferno. I directed him in the Naked Gun movies. Although he actually improved with each film, his acting remained a lot like his murdering - he got away with it, but no-one really believed him"

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
I'd forgotten how deeply sinister his behaviour after acquittal was. Writing the book, giving interviews about his hypothetical murder methods, up to and including threatening to kill the female interviewer.

AndyRM

XOXO
American News - none of it really happened.

Oh, but it did. I have evidence.

Screenshot_2024-04-15-10-01-31-91_a23b203fd3aafc6dcb84e438dda678b6~2.jpg

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
Cruise as Reacher is one of the worst excesses of pandering to a top celeb in the Hollywood pantomime industry. If there's any actor most inappropriate for the part it's a short actor. Creative licence is one thing but when the whole point of the books was this great big hulk of a man that you're likely to be stupid to mess with based on size, bulk and presence. Cruise might be a talented actor but you might as well put a child actor in the part for all the impact he has playing that character. The Reacher from the book, if he existed IRL would probably not feel Cruise hitting him. Most of the bad guys in the book if they were real would rag Cruise's Reacher around like a rag doll. In fact I think they do.

Sorry to rant but Cruise changed the whole feel of the books. The actor in the prime series of Reacher looks closer to the book character. It would be fun to get them in the octagon to make a point!

Not so much Jack Reacher as Jack Reacharound.

Last edited:

winjim

Smash the cistern
His argument that a famous white person would have got off too is quite persuasive.

Chris Rock's argument has always seemed to be that yes, racism exists, but some black people don't necessarily do themselves any favours and you can't blame everything on racism.

Top Bottom