R.L.J. what an idiot !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrasB

Veteran
the worst RJLing is when cyclists cycle through the pedestrian phase of lights regardless of who's crossing the road at the time. Seen way to much of this. Thing is though I can often give a detailed description to the police but they don't want to know ;).

Glow worm

Legendary Member
I normally politely enquire whether they are 'effing colourblind' ( i.e. mixing up green and red). Trouble is, most of the RLJ muppets in Cambridge seem to be foreign students who probably don't understand anyway!

One foreign guy last week who'd just breezed through a red light and nearly knocked me off as I was turning right at a green light (from Hills Road into Brooklands Avenue for any locals), just smiled vacantly at me as I hurled some rather colourful language in his direction!

OP
OP
iendicott

iendicott

Origamist said:
The London Road Safety Unit report dealing with casualites from 2007 categorises "common conflicts". The category covering cyclists seriously injured by "failing to give way or disobeying junction control & colliding with other vehicle" was not even in the top 10 of common conflicts..

Oh so that makes it safe to RLJ then ! :biggrin:

Ivan

iendicott said:
Oh so that makes it safe to RLJ then ! :biggrin:

Ivan

Agreed.

If it isn't common, how many are very serious? The fact it agitates car drivers and encourages Daily Mail type abuse against all the other cyclists means that they themselves may not be getting hurt actually doing, but maybe encourages disrespect and close passes from motorists? Perhaps meaning that some of the more common injuries might not be so common if RLJ'ing didn't occur... Just maybe...

Origamist

Legendary Member
iendicott said:
Oh so that makes it safe to RLJ then ! :wacko:

Ivan

The point I was trying to make is that many people believe, and want to believe that RLJing by cyclists (Darwin Award Winners, Kamikaze riders etc) is a major cause of serious cyclist casualties, but this is not borne out by the available (and limited) collision data. More cyclists are seriously injured by motor vehicles "failing to give way or disobeying junction control & colliding with other vehicle" than by cyclists doing the same. The figures of course do not present the full picture, but they do provide food for thought.

I'd recommend reading the LRSU pedal cyclist casualties report:

http://londonroadsafety.tfl.gov.uk/www/downloads/publications/PC-Cas-Factsheet-Final-1986-2007.pdf

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Had one today, going out of York on the Hull road through the B&Q lights. I had great pleasure in watching her pedal away (not the best cadence action TBH), and I reeled her in then left her. Didn't see her again, and that was 75 miles into my ride.

GrasB

Veteran
BentMikey said:
Do you guys tell the RLJer anything, or just mutter under your breath?
Have mentioned it but usually get verbal in return. Though someone once called me a pro rider for which I almost fell of my bike with laughter.

So have I same result.

Top Bottom