R.L.J. what an idiot !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iendicott

Riding home last night from town and passed a cyclist on a ratty halfords mountain bike that had more rust on than the titanic, he was carrying a bucket on the handlebars and cycling at a reasonable pace.

Anyway to cut a long story short I had to stop at the next set of traffic lights for about 2 minutes and about 30 seconds before they change this guy on the outside lane comes cycling past me and carries over the crossroads without paying attention to any of the cars cutting across the junction, in fact a few cars had to stop rather quickly.

Once the lights had change I set off again passing him.

So what did he gain ? I know a near death experience :thumbsup:, maybe the fact he could get passed me when I was stopped :thumbsup:

A typical candidate who gives other cyclist a bad name :thumbsup:

I wish I had an onboard camera as this was totally unbeleiveable !

Ivan

bryce

I would have to write about a story like this for every set of traffic lights during my commute - so would be around 40 stories every day.

I don't think we, as cyclists, should feel responsibility towards these idiots though. Likewise if someone does something stupid in a car, I don't feel that I, as a driver, am being tagged by his bad habits.

Just let Darwin sort them out.

CotterPin

I had a good RLJ idiot this morning. We were held at lights at a junction with a major road. Our road is descending slightly so you can see across the junction and down the road. Anyone paying any attention could also see that there were a bunch of coppers hi-vizzed up on the other side of the junction.

Me and one other cyclist waited at lights. I always do - I don't know about her. Another cyclist joined us, crept beyond the stop line, over the main road and into the arms of the cops.

You do wonder about their observational skills if they couldn't see a whole load of people in hi-vis. Are they really paying attention when they jump the lights?

Although, to be fair, maybe it didn't even occur to them that the police were there to stop cyclists RLJing. A lot of cyclists, including this one until he was stopped by the cops, imho, are firmly of the opinion that they are not actually breaking any law.

BentMikey said:
Do you guys tell the RLJer anything, or just mutter under your breath?

I have, more than once told RLJ'ers that they give cyclists a bad name as I have re-overtaken them. Only been told to f'off once so far. Saying that, I thin k I am lucky because I rarely see it done.

Bristol Dave

I try not to stress about it. I ride the way I ride to keep myself safe for my family. If someone wants to RLJ or pavement-cycle (PC?) I don't see it as any of my business. I only reprimand those who are a danger to me - like the cyclist who left-hooked me on Monday.

BD

OP
OP
iendicott

iendicott

BentMikey said:
Do you guys tell the RLJer anything, or just mutter under your breath?

I don't bother, I just let natural select take it's course. :wacko:

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
That's the thing though, RLJing is very antisocial, but it's probably not particularly dangerous. If you don't tell them off, then don't come complaining on here.

OP
OP
iendicott

iendicott

BentMikey said:
That's the thing though, RLJing is very antisocial, but it's probably not particularly dangerous. If you don't tell them off, then don't come complaining on here.

Chill Winston !

I wasn't complaining, it was an observation ;)

And to say it's not particularly dangerous, well I am afraid I beg to differ.

Origamist

Legendary Member
iendicott said:
Chill Winston !

I wasn't complaining, it was an observation ;)

And to say it's not particularly dangerous, well I am afraid I beg to differ.

The London Road Safety Unit report dealing with casualites from 2007 categorises "common conflicts". The category covering cyclists seriously injured by "failing to give way or disobeying junction control & colliding with other vehicle" was not even in the top 10 of common conflicts..

jmaccyd

Origamist said:
The London Road Safety Unit report dealing with casualites from 2007 categorises "common conflicts". The category covering cyclists seriously injured by "failing to give way or disobeying junction control & colliding with other vehicle" was not even in the top 10 of common conflicts..

Oh I know the stats, thats why I (personnally) remain completly sanguie about RLJ cyclists in London, but I'm in two tons of Cab and if heaven forbid I hit one of the numpties I will remain unhurt - its the pedestrians I worry about, particulalry the elderly, pregnant, and disabled who get zero respect from a large number of cyclists even when crossing predestrian crossings. Even cyclists now have to take avoiding action when going on green from fellow cyclists RLJ.

Origamist

Legendary Member
jmaccyd said:
Oh I know the stats, thats why I (personnally) remain completly sanguie about RLJ cyclists in London, but I'm in two tons of Cab and if heaven forbid I hit one of the numpties I will remain unhurt - its the pedestrians I worry about, particulalry the elderly, pregnant, and disabled who get zero respect from a large number of cyclists even when crossing predestrian crossings. Even cyclists now have to take avoiding action when going on green from fellow cyclists RLJ.

I'd agree and any cyclist injuring a pedestrian by RLJing should be punished.

According to the LRSU stats (as you know), cyclists were involved in 1% of pedestrian casualties, whist taxis were involved in 3% in 2007...!

Top Bottom