R&M bicycles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mavica

Hi everyone

I buy 6 months ago an R&M Homage dual battery electric bicycle for Cad$17,000 and I ONLY have problems since, change the Bosch motor twice now another change very soon third because it starts make noise like the other ones before, the switch for electric assistance get water after I ride in the rain I was 87Km from my hose I have to call a friend to pick me up, one spring tension get very rust after 3 months, the screen stop work properly I mean the eShift look the images

gg.jpg

ee.jpg

Normally.jpg

qq.jpg

02_Bosch-eBike_PerformanceLineCX-DriveUnit-MY2020c.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20230714_211848.jpg
    IMG_20230714_211848.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 14
I don't know the laws in your area - but in a lot of places you would be better off taking it back to the retailer and demanding your money back

Bosch are normally reliable - so I suspect there is something seriously wrong with the frame of something - which is putting unexpected strain on the motor

good luck

Visit some ebike forums and count the knackered Bosch threads. Suntour get the heat and the bad rep, but despite UK sales seriously outnumbering Bosch its the latter that easily score the most threads.

I would never have actually got a Bosch bike - but I was rather forced into it when the bike I bought had problems and Raleigh offered to give me a new Motus instead
(to be fair - it was the end of the year and it was now the "old" model so it didn;t cost them as much as it looked - but still good customer service!)
Although I have spoken to the LBS and he says that he has yet to see a problem with Bosch systems - and he sells them from more than one manufacturer
When I first got it I checked things out and noticed some threads saying not to get them - but the conversations I have had on-line have come to the conclusion that they are pretty reliable - but if they go wrong then they can;t be fixed and have to be replaced

SO I am basically riding with my fingers crossed - nearly 9000 miles so far!!

Are there ebike forums that I am not seeing?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Visit some ebike forums and count the knackered Bosch threads. Suntour get the heat and the bad rep, but despite UK sales seriously outnumbering Bosch its the latter that easily score the most threads.

Bosch made its millionth motor years ago, a vast number in the niche world of cycling.

Since then the system has only become more popular.

It really is the VW Beetle of ebiking.

The failure rate - number of failures per 1,000 motors - is the only valid way to measure reliability.

It's also the figure that's impossible to obtain.

Suntour's overall motor sales do not even register on the chart.

That they've still managed to get lots of owners complaining is not very encouraging.

Neither failure rate is known, but I suspect if the failure rate for Bosch was the same as Suntour there would be an absolute avalanche of Bosch complaints online.

That would agree with some discussion I have seen - Bosch are common and expensive if they go wrong
Hence, even if they are generally quite reliable they will have more failures than a smaller maker.
And the expense means that people are more likely to moan/complain

Hence more complaints - but possibly a lower failure rate????

OP
OP
M

Mavica

The problem is I change already 2 motors now will be 3 the noise in the first 2 are very different noise, the first one is constant when I pedal now the second one is only when I force a lot to pedal like if I climb, but they both have something in common is after I ride in the rain...
Now R&M want change my bicycle and give me a "NEW" one but my question still there, whats is the problem, for me to have to change the motor twice, is the 'NEW" bicycle with the same Bosch motor will have the same problem? I ask them to tell me, Riding Style? I did 6000Km in 6 months is that the problem? I request a Diagnosis report and no answer

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
In UK terms, replacing the bike is a very fair offer - I'd take it, quickly.

R&M are generally reckoned to be well made, if heavy, so maybe you just have a rare rogue bike.

Take the new bike and put this behind you, it's only a dodgy bike, so no need to dwell on it.

Maybe the problem is with misaligned "things" which are making the motor work against the frame rather than just powering the chain

or something

anyway - I would take the offer of the new bike and see how it goes

the other option is to tell them that the original bike was "not fit for purpose" and ask for your money back - but that would be from teh retailer in UK law - not sure how it would work in your part of the world

OP
OP
M

Mavica

WARNING To buyers

R&M don't care to much about the North America market, I am in Canada, Montreal and here is no body specialized in R&M bicycles here they just change parts nothing else, they are not capable to find and resolved the problems to fix them, they change the part and this is it. Like the motor they change, yes, the motor was change and now I have a problem again (2 Motors) and they want change the motor again and they will keep this until the warranty finish? Probably, I have this bicycle since December 2022 but I only use it since May 2023, but is other problems with the bicycle, Shock in the back loosing air, the switch for level electric assist broke water gets inside they say is waterproof, the fenders in the back shaking so much make big noise because the rods to support it they are so tin and week, also I lose the shift so often. Yes they ask me to bring the bicycle to a dealer but they keep the bicycle how long I don’t know and they offer me another bicycle for me to finish the season, OK look like normal proposition but I do about 150Km almost every day with my bicycle with Dual battery so I that very easy but they offer me a bicycle I cant do more 80Km and the question is for how long? I don’t know and they don’t know too, VERY STRANGE that situation with R&M…

The dealer here call me to ask me: Sir what you want to do with your bicycle? Repair or have a NEW one? I told them NEW. The dealer here told me is R&M o ask them and they ask me…OK

Few days later this VERY ARROGANT person from R&M told me no NEW bicycle

THE WORSE REALLY WORSE IS:

The communication with R&M is so BAD they are VERY ARROGANT and IMPOLITE. They force me to be like them and I don’t have any problem to be WORSE than them

I am so sorry to say this about China but with the Chinese the Customer Care are so GREAT makes R&M (from “civilized” country) look like a third World customer care or worse

I DON’T RECOMMEND the R&M and Bosch to my enemy…

Attachments

• R&M Word.pdf
    270.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Top Bottom