Rabobank pulls sponsorship

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

musa

Über Member
Just read this now

Such a shame

thom

____
Wow, that's a hard blow to Men's and Women's cycling - let's hope the team finds a way to continue. A vote of no confidence in the UCI too:
We are no longer convinced that the international professional world of cycling can make this a clean and fair sport.

jifdave

rubbish uphill, downhill 'balast' make me fast
Rabobank’s earnings were down in this harsh economic climate: net profit stood at EUR 1,314 million, a 29% drop on the first half of 2011.
says it all i think.

sanchez and gessink are the hottest free agents i guess

Given the bank's financial results this year, I suspect the doping scandal was just a convenient excuse for them to pull the plug and save some money...

http://www.rabobank.com/content/investor_relations/reports/

Yep, only €1.3Bn profits. No spare money there in the marketing budget for a cycling team. I suspect that Rabobank will be the first of many and that what is happening at Sky is an attempt to try to convince the sponsors not to jump ship.

U

User169

Could be the 'right' time for drugs companies to come along and sponsor the teams! :whistle:

Amgen?

U

User169

says it all i think.

sanchez and gessink are the hottest free agents i guess

I reckon Vos should be added to that list!

Agree with Red Light on this one; not convinced it's a finance decision. I think Rabo have been unhappy with a perceived lack of success of the team given that it's one of the wealthier teams. They did though have a major restructure of the team organisation only recently, so I'm a bit surprised at the timing.

400bhp

Guru
As I said on t'other thread, for me (reading between the lines of their statement) it's about them wanting rid of the UCI in it's current form.

Bubble's bursting....

Top Bottom