Rabobank pulls sponsorship

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Skoda have pulled their sponsorship of Rabo too - so guys, if you thing this is wrong, don't buy Skoda cars...

That would be a step too far.

I've never owned a Skoda, but a 110R Coupe in full rally spec is on my list to drive or own before I die.

On a more serious note, I see the decision (which saddens me) as a happy confluence of belt-tightening and taking a pragmatic line on the current retrospective media Lance Armtsunami.

I imagine there may be more to follow through the exit, but as with motorsport (when tobacco eventually trudged out) there should be other sponsors keen to fill the gap.

Rabobank have been (for entirely pragmatic marketing reasons) a huge investor in pro-cycling for a long, long time.

I admire David Millar greatly (and I love the work he did as vocalist for the Talking Heads) but I think he's being slightly waspish in his comments. It's not a marriage or even a friendship. They are a bank. The have different drivers and different priorities. Get over it.

The timing of the announcement is unfortunate. In fact, I think it's poor from every point of view... But the fact that they are going is just pragmatism, as was the decision to get involved in the first place.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Perhaps the best way to "clean" sports is to remove all corporate sponsorship?

[Ducks]

Domestique

Über Member
I noticed when we where in NL earlier this year Rabobank seemed to be involved as a sponsor in lots Dutch sport, noy only cycling. By involved I mean at local level not only proffesional level.
I cant see them stopping sponsoring sport, just cycling.

Ron-da-Valli

It's a bleedin' miracle!
Rabobank also sponser the Celtic rugby union league. Hope they don't pull the plug there as well!

Top Bottom