[race radio] Cowards

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Will1985 said:
In his blog, Haussler says that he prefers to race without a radio. Not exactly old at 25...

I did say earlier that is probably a good idea but my point is, as they have been mooting it for a couple of years, why didn't they try it out at an earlier, less high profile race. It seems to me they were asking for a disagreement as everyone knew the teams opposed it largely.
An avoidable distraction IMO but as I also said earlier I don't really give a toss and I have gifted Noodley the win in the manner of HRH LA to Pantani!

yello

Noodley said:
That'll be him on St. Lance of Astana's hate list.

I thought everyone started on it. They just moved off when they licked his crack. :blush:

jpembroke

Radio is so last season. I think they should all have bar-mounted screens so they can see what's going on. Maybe some Sky Sports style graphics and race stats. Yeah, with action replays of attacks and crashes. Actually, they should have to suffer Eurosport all day like the rest of us, see how they like it.

yello

Hmmm, I thought I'd changed it to arse for that very reason.

jpembroke said:
Actually, they should have to suffer Eurosport all day like the rest of us, see how they like it.

Fair point! And they could all stop for the add breaks too. Take a 'natural' or something.

Jonathan M

rich p said:
I agree. It may well be good idea but why experiment in the TdF? It's like trying a new offside rule in the World Cup final.

But FIFA/UEFA always seem to bring in a new "interpretation" of the rules during the Euro's or world cup, perhpas they feel starting at the top means that it will be accpeted more by the lesser levels.

What is wrong with riders using their own skills & tactics, after all they did for many years before team radios came into use.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Jonathan M said:
What is wrong with riders using their own skills & tactics, after all they did for many years before team radios came into use.

I think this is a fair point, I don't like to obstruct progress, or move backwards but, in racing terms, is this progress? I always considered awareness and positionig to be a key part of the race.

Jonathan M

MacBludgeon said:
I think this is a fair point, I don't like to obstruct progress, or move backwards but, in racing terms, is this progress? I always considered awareness and positionig to be a key part of the race.

But is anything in cycling progress? The minimum weight limits, frame design, positions, all have been implemented after it has become apparent that design & technology has exceeded the limits that the UCI dinosaurs are prepared to accept.

In a way, all of these rules that the UCI have implemented after the fact are perhaps designed to level the playing field, only this one removes technology and places an emphasis upon the riders own skill, which surely has to be positive?

Top Bottom