Race Reports

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Yep. on my aris.

Dave5N

Über Member
dan_bo said:

Miaow.

Nah mate. It was glacial. Hard pack paths, rained for two hours then froze. 1 in 7 descents on sheet ice. With turns. And no ambulance access.

Not for riding on, given the crashes with careful riders checking the course, certainly not for racing.

Y'UN's right.

Blott's Mate

Category A race at Hillyfields, Colchester. Knocked off twice by riders skidding on ice & crashing into me & fell off once on my own. Race went much better than the warm up & did a steep frozen climb where the wheels were spinning on the ice without getting/falling off apart fm the first lap when there was a domino effect pile up on it & I was knocked off. Not as fast as I'd like to be but pleased with how I rode this.

jpembroke

My race today was awful. I felt terrible from the start and never recovered from the mass sprint. I just ended up plodding round, watching helpless as more and more riders went past and unassailable gaps formed. Quite demoralising really considering some of my (quite) good results this year. Note to oneself: train more, get ill less.

OP
OP
palinurus

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I was going to race at Herne Hill today, got togged up but didn't feel like going. Went out for some practice in the local park/ woods but didn't have much go in me.

I've not been ill but neither have I been capable of going fast recently. I think I rely on the remnants of whatever summer form I have to get through the first few races and then it just drops gradually, once I have a long gap between races there's nothing to keep it aloft any more.

I've got a couple of London league races I can get to before the end of the season but the central league ones are all done now. Came fourth in the vets overall, chance of coming first or second if I'd made the last race. Just turned in consistently middling results in four out of six races. I'll try and do the same next season, but start more often.

jpembroke

I almost did the same: turned round and went home but thought I'd persevere. Getting overtaken by riders who normally place well below me (even a lap down) made me regret that decision. Still, hopefully I'll have got the single point I need to take my tally to 100 points for the season.

OP
OP
palinurus

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
So what do we do this coming season? continue to post race reports here or stick them in the "your race today" thread now cyclocross has been absorbed into the body of racing?

OP
OP
palinurus

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Well, I'm going to keep posting them here.

First one this season at Blenheim Palace today. Watched the Brompton race, hung around in the rain a bit after because the 'cross race didn't start 'till 3 pm.

It was really flat, just a flat grassy area. Not easy though, twisty course with three spirals. Amazingly long laps (I think I completed five in an hour and ten minutes. Might've been six though) considering how small an area the course was set up in. Organizers did well with what they had to work with.

Started near the back, and spent the first two laps moving up the field until I couldn't move up any further, paid for it later- I was cooked on the last lap but pretty much held whatever position I had at that point. No idea where I placed, usual middling sort of position no doubt.

The small crowd in the start area made an impressive amount of noise, especially the bike polo players.

Bike polo looks fun.

OP
OP
palinurus

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
33rd place/ 63 finishers.

There was a chance of 32nd place almost to the line.

Couldn't catch her in the end.

OP
OP
palinurus

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Kettering today. Simple course, short laps, one long straight bit with some gradient was tough.

Must improve my starts. There was a tricky bit a few hundred yards from the start. Lost a load of places and got stuck in a bottleneck, spent the rest of the race picking riders off until I wasn't quick enough to do so. Last two laps I was running on empty, no-one passed me although a clubmate got pretty close.

Again I've no idea where I placed. I was lapped by one rider, I expected more since the laps were so short.

If I'd started better I wouldn't've had to expend so much energy catching up.

Another one next week, repeat until mid November. Then they are a bit less frequent.

Very nice banana cake after.

Top Bottom