Race Reports

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave5N

Über Member
palinurus said:
Post 'em here, some of you must've got going..

Not according to the results sheet. :ohmy:

jpembroke

My race report:

Yesterday - Considering Blenheim race or Western League Race in N. Bristol. Decided on the latter. Checked bike over and got kit ready. Went out for takeaway.

Today - Horribly ill all day. No doubt that sodding curry. No race.

Pants!

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Got a really good start from the off, was picking wheels up that I don't normally get on, was feeling really quite good........until the first corner, where I forgot how to ride a bike. Cue 55 mins of redline trying to get a decent race out of myself.

I'll be better next week.

Nick Craig was there as well! nice guy!

OP
OP
palinurus

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
dan_bo said:
55 mins of redline trying to get a decent race out of myself.

That pretty much applies to every race i've done so far.

Plan to start this weekend, I notice it's started raining today.

jpembroke

6th today. Small field though. Still, very happy. Started dry then rained for second half and got very greasy. I did benefit from a couple of crashes in front of me but then that's the nature of the 'cross I guess. Did get a good start this time, which I'm really pleased about. Last race I was half asleep at the start and it was elbows out from the off. Scary.

OP
OP
palinurus

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Second event of the season today, the results aren't out yet. My club's event too.

It was really dry. There's been heavy rain recently following a prolonged dry spell, but only the very top surface of the soil has any moisture in it. I was helping mark out the course yesterday with those plastic poles with metal spikes on the end. Those things would go in about 2 cm, not much further without jumping on them like they were pogo sticks. Even then they wouldn't always go in.

Last year none of the slopes were rideable, this year almost the entire course was. I had to get off once each lap for a tricky tree root on a steep uphill slope, once at the barriers.

I got called up to the start and placed in the second row back. Maybe I just looked like I knew what I was doing, who knows.

And I did get a better start, although I didn't hold my place right at the head of the race for long. Not too bad though, better than usual.

And the practice has paid off, good remounts at the barriers, everytime.

I invested a lot of energy in the first lap to make up places, seemed to work, although I was seriously tired later on.

Dumb race mistakes? not so many this time. Pulled right over, nearly stopping, to let some guy past assuming he was lapping me. He wasn't.

-14th out of 32 finishers in the end.

OP
OP
palinurus

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
jpembroke said:
6th today. Small field though. Still, very happy. Started dry then rained for second half and got very greasy. I did benefit from a couple of crashes in front of me but then that's the nature of the 'cross I guess. Did get a good start this time, which I'm really pleased about. Last race I was half asleep at the start and it was elbows out from the off. Scary.

6th! what, again!

You could've done with one extra crash up ahead.

jpembroke

I know! On the last lap I was thinking: "I could get 5th here!!!!" Er, no. 6th again. My best ever finishes in 'cross and fell races have been 6th. I have to break this No. 6 hoodoo.

Blott's Mate

Progress! 3rd last rather than 2nd last. Overtook a bloke in the last lap. Woo hoo! 1st lap slowest then gradually got faster (slightly) with each lap. AND did a cor blimey plummet 8 times including the warm up.Too steep to go down on foot. 3 weeks ago I would have had one look at it and gone home. Go me :biggrin:!!

trio25

Über Member
Reminded myself that cross racing was fun. Had an easy start and slowly got past the odd person. Finished with a smile!

OP
OP
palinurus

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Those steep drops do seem pretty hairy at first.

[quote name='Blott's Mate']1st lap slowest then gradually got faster (slightly) with each lap.[/QUOTE]

Damn! I normally go off fast then get slower.

Top Bottom