Race Reports

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Christopher

Über Member
Raced yesterday at Brockholes, the Lake District National Park HQ near Windermere. Had a horrendous race :wacko: in a mix of deep mud, grass and leaves. Finished 3 or 4th last of out 100-odd starters. Spent a large amount of time unjamming the wheels, unjamming the chain, wading through mud etc I can see now why the serious racers have 2 bikes! I had a 20 speed Campag Velcoe go to a singlespeed in the murk. Was also soundly beaten (lapped) by someone I had finished ahead of at Otterspool, I just could not deal with the conditions at all.

Still it was neat to see Rob Jebb flying along past everyone, think he lapped everybody up to 3rd! I was about 5 laps behind I think. Saw 4 bikes with broken rear mechs :smile:, not surprised really, because if you skidded hard in the singletrack bits you in general would hit a tree. I clipped a shed once or twice (the shed was actually partly inside the course) but no damage at walking pace. It would have been a super course if it were drier, nice mix of grass, singletrack and little climbs.

oh well had a lovely ride back to Kendal after recovering...

Christopher

Über Member
ta Dan. You know I am seriously considering either a CX bike with discs or an XC hardtail... with discs. My bike is technically a tourer, it could do with bigger clearances esp up front.

Christopher

Über Member
results are out! I was 77th out of 86 finishers and a lap up on 5 people, a better result than I expected. The DNFs are not listed but I am sure there were over 100 starters and there were people near me who were having a bad time too who I didn't see after the first half-hour so maybe they packed?

Blott's Mate

Pouring rain & slippery mud, fell off on a muddy corner on 1st lap & went over on my foot clambering down a short but slippery very uneven bank on the 3rd lap -oh the pain- but completed 5 laps, last 2nd fastest & the fear is going :smile::smile: 30/36 but my best ride so far in terms of general togetherness. Foot painful to walk on but hey ho!

OP
OP
palinurus

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Well done, weather's been pretty nasty.

When it's raining I can pretty much guarantee I'll fall off at least once.

jpembroke

Took my sore throat down to Bristol today for a complete mudfest with crashes galore (I went down twice) and a few broken bikes (well, torn off rear mechs anyway). It was one of those 'the guy that goes least slow wins' kinda races. Anyway, managed to get round OK apart from those couple of spills on slippy left handers and finished 13th. Pleased with that and looking forward to the Cheltenham race next sunday.

Blott's Mate

Davy Down today. 6 laps including 2 flights of steps on each lap & a muddy descent. Must have lost at least a minute if not more with crappy dismount & remount. Now I can cope with the rest of it time to focus on the on & off side :becool::smile:!
7th last but 2nd in women's league. Will finish 4th if fast ladies do 8 events.Higher if not.

OP
OP
palinurus

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
[quote name='Blott's Mate']Must have lost at least a minute if not more with crappy dismount & remount.[/QUOTE]

That was me until a couple of months back. I went to the park once a week and practiced over and over. It probably comes easy to some but for me it required a lot of practice to get the remount sorted. It makes a lot of difference, even if you only need to get on and off once a lap.

mudplugger

Über Member
Martin Eadon the ex? GB coach has a number of sequences on You Tube which cover cyclo cross training tips, including mounting/dismounting. If you learn how to mount and dismount properly, then practice, you should be fine.

OP
OP
palinurus

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I found those videos very useful. At that point I'd almost got the remount down but watching those really helped me to get it that much smoother and more reliable.

There's a link in this thread, there are five in all I think.

Top Bottom