Race Reports

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
palinurus

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Icknield RC event over in Luton today.

No mud for me either, dryest event so far. I did have to clean the bike on account of the sand pit on the course.

Ever since I've got a racing license I get called up and get a position near the front. I made the front row today- what's going on there then? Most of the second row came past me, but I did stay up near the front. There was a pile-up in the sand so I ran through that to avoid it, then ended up in a little race with four others.

Then three, then just two, me in front. So I had someone to race against, good. Kept ahead, even after falling off in the sand (that stuff is tricky).

Except he came past me in the sprint and I had nothing left.

Learned something. I wasted too much energy trying to put a gap between us, should've let him through and followed him. Then I shoulda done what he did to me.

Don't know how I placed. I think third or fourth out of the vets though.

jpembroke

dan_bo said:
One word: shimanotenspeedchainsarelame.

first lap.

Yep, someone had same problem at Gloucester last week. I run 8 speed. I love 8 speed, me.

jpembroke

10th at Stroud today. Tough course (as usual): lots of climbing, very technical off camber singletrack sections, mud, and lots more climbing. And it rained! Strong field too so pleased with the result. Bloody knackered now.

OP
OP
palinurus

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Fourth dry event in a row for me, a London League/ Central League event at Hillingdon.

I didn't get gridded this time. Or I doubt I did. I couldn't hear the starter. There were 100+ riders between me and the start line, and it was windy.

So I rolled out near the back, got past a few, at the first small hill (the whole course was easily rideable, except the barriers) some of the riders were walking up- there was a terrible bottleneck. Made an effort to overtake as many as I could, and it was quite a few. Then the usual pattern, in a little group of four or five riders. After a few laps got out in front, briefly. Then on the last lap all my power just disappeared and I lost maybe six to eight places.

What I didn't like was the grassy sections- normally I like the grassy bits. It was really lumpy and rutted, really started to hurt after forty minutes.

Christopher

Über Member
raced sat at Otterspool Park, near Liverpool. Great fun but very hard. I liked the technical singletrack bits but need a grippier front tyre, slid around lots. I wore my long-sleeve Cyclechat jersey, hope it appears in the photos. Finished much much nearer the back than the front but expected that.

Next one I want to do is on 8th November at the Lake District Vistors' Park at Brockholes.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Good egg Frrrrrrrr. I got up on saturday morning and felt as deflated as my front tyre, so I got a coffee and went back to bed. I'll be at Otterspool next time (7/11) and the 8th is the (fixie) recce into cheshire. I'll see you on the circuit soon eh!

Christopher

Über Member
hope so Dan! I enthused much to the missus & she may now come and watch me flail around in the mud one weekend, if we can get ourselves organised :biggrin: I had assumed she would hate doing so.

I am down in that London this w/e where she lives, no CX events convenient to hers this w/e though - shame.

OP
OP
palinurus

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Finally got a bit dirty.

Inter-regional championships, Leicester, in a vets team. I don't know why I was entered either, I guess everyone else was busy.

I started in the second row back- lucky again. Then pulled my foot out of the pedal almost immediately, lost a good few places, then on the first muddy descent a rider came down in front of me and I hit his bike and came down too- as did a few others. Lost a good few more places. Better field than usual, hence I never really got back into the race after that although I pretty much retained my position from then on.

Course was slippy and with plenty of tricky cambers but no sections which really required running.

One good thing about vets races- only 40 minutes!

mr-marty-martin

was 6th or 6th in the fist 2 laps of the youth then blew up big style, had no room in the car for rollers so couldnt warm up properley like usual, so think i blew due to that...

OP
OP
palinurus

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Any idea what your team standings were? I've no idea, I can't imagine ours were very good- we only had one rider get a good overall position.

It was that crash at the first corner that I ran into. No idea how many came down, I was focussed on getting up and getting moving again.

OP
OP
palinurus

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Milton Keynes today. At the bowl. I thought Milton Keynes bowl was some sort of whopping great stadium or something.

It's a dell.

Most significant mistake: I assumed the start would be in the same place as the junior race. It wasn't. It was a nice wide bit of grass with a climb at the end. Hadn't practiced the climb since I didn't know it was part of the course. It was steeper than it looked, wrong gear, slowed right down, many riders got past.

Settled back into it, got past a few then just rode around getting more and more knackered but mostly retaining whatever position I was in. One of my clubmates got past, no-one else.

For the first time I wasn't lapped by at least one of the leaders (although the laps were pretty long).

Blott's Mate

4th cyclocross yesterday. Last 2 have been mainly on grass & confidence increased. Yesterday's was 90%+ single track through woodland.Thick leaves covering mud & lots of steep downhills, handbrake turn at the bottom & back up again. Nearly bottled & went home but did it. Best result so far. Out of 4 races done 2nd last;2nd last;3rd last & yesterday 7th last 36 out of 42 Woo hoo!

Top Bottom