Race Reports

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jpembroke

Did the Pittville Park, Cheltenham Race on Sunday and still recovering. Laps were quite long and technical with very steep banks, singletrack sections, tight turns, and a fallen tree to hurdle. However, the hardest bits were definitely the long flat grass sections which were so waterlogged and muddy that just riding in a straight line was an achievement. Strong field of 71 showed up for the race, which was won by Coventry's Darren Atkins with local rider Duncan Jamieson coming in 2nd. I am very pleased to have managed 18th place. Top race and looking forward to doing it again next year.

OP
OP
palinurus

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
jpembroke said:
, the hardest bits were definitely the long flat grass sections which were so waterlogged and muddy that just riding in a straight line was an achievement.

Ugh! I'm expecting similar for this weekend's race.

trio25

Über Member
The muddiest race I have ever done. Carried my bike more than anything else. Somehow punctured, but after taking forever to fix it finished!

So if tomorrow is as muddy, it apparently shouldn't be! How do I get round the fact my tyres are huge, what tyre pressures etc?

Dan_bo you coming out to Bolton?

OP
OP
palinurus

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Oxford today, Oxonian CC 'cross.

I got what I was expecting anyway.

I thought the course was really quite tough. Pretty technical in parts and the wet grass and mud was slippier than it looked and got slippier as the race went on. Not a good placing, I was the last of the riders who were a lap down on the leaders.

Everyone gets a prize though! I got a bag of nuts.

It wasn't my sort of course, tricky descents with bends at the bottom of 'em, deep rutted sloppy mud, run-ups. It'll need some work but I hope that next season I'll be more suited to it- it showed up a few weaknesses today which I need to work on.

The showers were cold.

OP
OP
palinurus

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Two different sports, pretty much.

It certainly does change going into November. If it gets wet before that it dries out some. Then November comes along and the ground never dries out again unless it freezes, and that hardly makes things any better.

Blott's Mate

Icy roots? (shudders)
Working this w/e so no race report. Watched the dismount & remount vid again & again. Peasy, I thought. Back garden, unclipped r foot (only ever do left normally) swung r leg back. Thought sh*t I can't possibly swing it over the back & forwards between the left leg & the bike & live, froze & bottled out. And remounting on the move? Snorts.Yeah right. They make it look so easy

trio25

Über Member
Bolton yesterday, it was muddy, it was leg sapping, it was hard work. I loved it. Finished 3rd female and I had to work for it!

Now looking for my next event, I seem to have remembered why I love it at the end of the season!

OP
OP
palinurus

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Blott said:
I've no idea how big your garden is but you do need a bit of space. A nice bit of flat grass.

Do it in stages and take your time. Start by just getting used to getting your preferred leg (usually right) unclipped and just over the saddle, then swing it back and clip in. Just get used to that part of it. Then try getting it between your left leg and bike, hold it there, roll along a bit then return it.

Once you are comfortable with this move on to stepping off while moving slowly. Once you've done it once- and it may take a few goes to get up the nerve- it will be easy after that. If you haven't already done so adjust the tension in your pedals so it's really easy to unclip at first.

Top Bottom